Temple on snowy montain (update 25/12)

(hannibar) #1

Here’s my latest
Modelled in blender (including terrain), clouds made in terragen, all rendered in lightwave.

or

http://users.pandora.be/willem.packet1/tempel.html

(rogerm3d) #2

Damn Nice There. Love the mountains, and the rough stone feel, and the water, and the… :smiley:
Love the pic in general :slight_smile:

(harkyman) #3

Very neat. You modelled the water in blender too? How exactly? It looks very good.

(hannibar) #4

The water is just a plane with one of those fantastic lightwave procedurals on it.

(BgDM) #5

Impressive. The lighting is great.

Something seems off with the scale of the mountains and the snow to me. Can’t quite put my finger on it, but something looks off. The mountains seem to have too sharp of edges in some spots as well.

Gotta love those LW procedurals that can displacement map [!] Which one did you use on the water? I want to try now.

BgDM

(hannibar) #6

the crumple procedural. With small power a little higher or lower then default (don’t remember) You have to try a bit.

(slikdigit) #7

I think you should scale the temple down quite a bit for it to fit in the scene with the mountains. Or make it more of a ‘big building’ design.
otherwise its good.
I give it 3 Zorros. :Z :Z :Z

(hannibar) #8

I will update very soon (probably tomorrow). Most issues will be fixed.

(hannibar) #9

Here’s the update. Does the temple look a little bigger now?

(bmax) #10

excellent rendering quality, but there are a few thing i dont understand.

1. why did you model it in blender? lw has a far better modeler.
  2. why did you make the clouds in terragen, what about skydesigner?
  3. why not make the water with soft-body dynamics and a wind effector added? :expressionless:

(basse) #11

first I was like “WHOOAH” but then read the fineprint, rendered in lw, and I was like “oh. .well… ok…”

and becasue I have no knowledge on lw, I cannot say anything here… dont know what is easy and what is hard with that software-…

.b

(hannibar) #12

excellent rendering quality, but there are a few thing i dont understand.

1. why did you model it in blender? lw has a far better modeler.
  2. why did you make the clouds in terragen, what about skydesigner?
  3. why not make the water with soft-body dynamics and a wind effector added?
  1. I don’t feel like learnig how to model in lightwave. For now blender and wings are fine for me. I don’t have trouble exporting anyway.
  2. scytracer just sucks. It takes ages to render, and you don’t get as good results as in terragen. Now I can also just test-render the clouds without having extra render time.
  3. uh? My knowledge of lightwave doesn’t go that far. But why should I do it an other way if it looks good like this? It isn’t meant to be animated anyway.

(stephen2002) #13

belive me, Lightwave has a far better modeling system. I am just getting into it myself and it is a different flow, but much easier as you get the hang of it.

(S68) #14

Very nice, mountain textures are very nice, and modelling too is great.

Stefano

(reimers1981) #15

nice pic, but unfortunately, the addition of the person and grass to the temple only reinforces the odd scale. perhaps the stone texture is too large. make the variations in the stone smaller and more prominent, and possibly add more detail to the model, small recesses, stones littering the floor, and that sort of thing.

from what i’ve noticed IRL, sandstone style buildings have seams where the rock is cut into manageable pieces (the columns should be seperate segments, rather than one huge piece of rock). the same goes for the dome at the top (which also looks too heavy for the smaller columns supporting it) and the stairs, which would look better laid like large bricks in a circle.

finally, the person at the bottom, the boat etc. look too big for the top part of the image. the other person is smaller (considering that the ladder is vertical, and not going back into the distance to justify the change in scale) and it makes the mountain look more like a hill.

just some suggestions, hope you find them useful :slight_smile: