Teresa's Sketchbook

I have been looking for a way to have a sketchbook so that I can improve on my digital paintings.

I hope this is the place.

You seem a little ahead of me in skill but I will try to throw my two cents in. There are some stuff that seem to have life and yet others that seem a little flat. Example in the last painting. The Vintage Wine bottle looks a little flat in the image. Yet the Glass next to it seems to have more life in it. The previos one the tower seems a little lifeless. Yet the first one is great. The last one is very good. So that may not help much but maybe someone else who is better at this can help even more. Keep up the good work.

I want to improve on this. Any CC would be welcome

this one is not done yet but I am getting frustrated because I am not sure if the lighting is correct. I want the lighting from the front on our right. CC would be appreciated on any of my work. I will be darkening the shadow which you can barely see. I want to add some accessories but I wanted to get the lighting correct first.

Thanks for viewing

Hi Teresa,

Some nice work you have here. You seem to have a good foundation, especially when it comes to the treatment of tones and materials. The best piece you have here would have to be the portrait in BnW, this piece has good depth due to the treatment of the skin and the little details you have added in the hair, eyes and mouth. The only inconsistencies I can comment on are the eyelids and eyebrows. The eyelids seem to change width at certain places and the eyebrows are begging for some fine detail in the same way you have treated the hair. You can learn to fix some of the issues with the other pieces from what you have done well in the portrait.

I think you have 2 main issues in general which are volumetric depth and perspective. In your flower piece for example, there is one petal that you rendered so well, the one close to us at the bottom of the flower. This petal is jutting out and looks great, if you used the same variation in tone for the rest of the piece this would fix the flatness as mentioned before by softwarespecial. The same issue is apparent in your still life of wine and cheese except because you have inorganic forms here with lots of ellipses the flatness is more apparent. You have used the same ellipse for every cylinder in the picture instead of varying them in proportion to where the viewer is sitting. From where I am sitting you should not really be able to see the top of the wine bottle and the ellipse for the wine in the glass should be almost flat. On your wine bottle the ellipse at top of the label is flat, by doing this you have established the eye level of the viewer so the next ellipse up should start curving upwards, instead you have curved it downwards. You can fix little issues like this by using a 3 point perspective grid when sketching out your scenes or you could even build the scene quickly in blender and use that as a guide for your perspective.

Anyway that’s enough from me.

Softwarespecial
The Vintage Wine bottle looks a little flat in the image. Yet the Glass next to it seems to have more life in it. The previos one the tower seems a little lifeless. Yet the first one is great

You are correct on this and I will work on the next ellipses that I will do. Also to keep in mind the perspective Thank you.

wokjow
Some nice work you have here. You seem to have a good foundation, especially when it comes to the treatment of tones and materials. The best piece you have here would have to be the portrait in BnW, this piece has good depth due to the treatment of the skin and the little details you have added in the hair, eyes and mouth. The only inconsistencies I can comment on are the eyelids and eyebrows. The eyelids seem to change width at certain places and the eyebrows are begging for some fine detail in the same way you have treated the hair. You can learn to fix some of the issues with the other pieces from what you have done well in the portrait.

I think you have 2 main issues in general which are volumetric depth and perspective. In your flower piece for example, there is one petal that you rendered so well, the one close to us at the bottom of the flower. This petal is jutting out and looks great, if you used the same variation in tone for the rest of the piece this would fix the flatness as mentioned before by softwarespecial. The same issue is apparent in your still life of wine and cheese except because you have inorganic forms here with lots of ellipses the flatness is more apparent. You have used the same ellipse for every cylinder in the picture instead of varying them in proportion to where the viewer is sitting. From where I am sitting you should not really be able to see the top of the wine bottle and the ellipse for the wine in the glass should be almost flat. On your wine bottle the ellipse at top of the label is flat, by doing this you have established the eye level of the viewer so the next ellipse up should start curving upwards, instead you have curved it downwards. You can fix little issues like this by using a 3 point perspective grid when sketching out your scenes or you could even build the scene quickly in blender and use that as a guide for your perspective.

Anyway that’s enough from me.

I didn’t realize that is what I had done. Thanks for pointing that out to me. Always has been refreshing having others view your work to point you in the correct direction. For the wine bottle I hadn’t even considered that a person would be sitting and the top of bottle would not be seen. I also will work on the label and the wording since that is out of perspective as well. I am working on perspective and lighting. Thank you wokjow

Here are some recent works. I sure hope I have done this correctly
CC will be most welcome

Thanks for looking

Another lighting study. CC would be welcome

I was working on another lighting study and I didn’t like the way I was doing the clothing, Are their any videos on hoe to do color clothing with folds.

Some of the other commenters have given some great advice regarding the inconsistencies with perspective, so I won’t go into that. This takes time, practice, and observation - especially with the organic shapes of anatomy or plants- but that’s really all it takes.

You already seem to be good at creating form, but aren’t as successful with creating depth. Think of form like a bas relief: there are shadows and highlights, but it’s all basically in the foreground i.e. flat. Depth is more like a full sculpture.

The above image of the woman with the towel has depth. Here’s what the she would look like with form, but without as much depth.

Without the full gamut of light and dark, she goes flat. This is the main issue I see with the lilies, the wine and cheese, and the first three portraits.

Keep in mind is that warmer colors and lighter tints come forward; cooler colors and darker shades receed - not just for individual subjects but, more broadly, for the foreground, midground, and background. You can avoid the feeling of flatness by thinking of each zone (e.g. the foreground) as having its own gamut of lights and darks. I made a quick diagram to illustrate this idea.

Your foreground will have both lights and darks to give its contents form, but it should have mostly light and fewer dark colors or values. Your midground will have a fairly even balance of light and dark. Your background will have both light and dark too, but fewer light values/colors. Looking back at the woman in the towel, notice how the foremost points of interest/focus are on the left: there are shadows and highlights, but mostly highlights. The right side could be considered the background, as it has shadows and highlights but mostly shadows. This is how a composition has depth, even if with just a single subject. If your painting has just one subject, think of that subject as having these three zones and paint accordingly.