Terrain Mesh get all selected verts to reset at 0 on Z-axis

terrain
modeling

(Mario Kolovos) #1

Hello Everyone, i created my first ever terrain today on Blender, its an awesome software and so is this forum.

I am trying to get all my selected vertices to reset to co ordinate 0 on the z-axis as this will eventually be an arena prefab for my upcoming game Eonwar. There will be 15 of each hexagon terrain prefab per planet, so the outer edges of all must be at the same level to create a seamless planet. I need to make 115 of them! So any help well appreciated.

Another post suggests to add zero to the z-axis field in transform panel (n panel) but that is not having any effect and i can’t work out why.

If anyone know how to go onto making my square terrain a hexagon, that would also be most welcome help.

Thanks in advanced.
Mal

(Felix Kütt) #2

I said nothing about transform panel there. :sweat:

step 1. Set pivot point to cursor.

step 2. Set cursor to center.

step 3. Select your vertices.

step 4. Hit S to scale, then Z to axis constraint and finally hit 0 followed by enter.

(Mario Kolovos) #3

Apologies Felix, i was referring to Remade’s post in my reference, now that i read back your input it does make sense. And thank you for the advice, worked like a charm :slight_smile:

I wonder if you could share best technique to then convert the square shaped plane into a hexagon. I presume some unification between my terrain and a hex plane but after trying it myself it just ends with disaster.

Thanks again!

(pauljs75_) #4

What’s the edge count on the periphery of that terrain grid? If it were to be divisible by six, then the obvious answer would be to make a hexagon shape with the same edge count. (Easy enough to make a hex with the circle primitive and it’s vertex count set to six. Then select those edges and specials menu to subdivide those edges into various multiples of six.) Bridging from the grid shape to the hex shape would then give the desired perimeter shape.

(Mario Kolovos) #5

Thanks Paul, though this is my first ever outing with Blender, so it will take me some time to find out how to all those things you mention. I am watching tutorials. I’m loving Blender, honestly can’t believe its free!

I’m not sure how to make my hexagon have more faces so i can join them, currently its just one face (i made a circle, reduced sides to 6 and used the solidify modifier). You can see the problem on the image below, i somehow need to remove the obtrusive corners of the plane whilst at the same time unifying the hexagon with the terrain mesh. I’m making a game that will feature 15 of these tiles on the screen at any one time, so polycount is important though i have a tool the will reduce polys.

Anyway, i’m learning loads everyday, i’m determined to make these prefabs!

(Mario Kolovos) #6

To update my post, i’m watching this tutorial by JnM and its quite helpful, though im not sure how to unify the two objects and remove the doubles, it doesn’t seem to be working for me?

I did just remove extra faces that formed the terrain corners, that was simple, so the challenge now is to combine the two objects into one mesh to reduce polycount.

(Felix Kütt) #7

Keep it simple.

Scale up your hexagonal shape along Z.

Give a bigger buffer of flat area to your terrain shapes outer region.

Then use Boolean Modifier.

edit: forgot to mention, for best results you might want to give your terrain mesh some depth using a solidify modifier first. And fill in that open end on the hexagonal shape.

(pauljs75_) #8

Here’s an example of that thing I mentioned, even though you already figured something out.

HexBase.blend (621.7 KB)

Two variants of a square grid in a hex as starting template of sorts. Higher density could be made with a subdivision modifier in simple mode. There’s also a vertex group on the grid area, so it should be easy enough to select and hide or mask off the rest while sculpting on the Z-axis.

(Mario Kolovos) #9

Wow Paul that’s brilliant and exactly what i’ve been trying to do. I think i will reverse engineer it. Once i can create a custom mesh like that i reckon i can handle pretty much anything. Thank you for the file!

My only concern is that the top face doesn’t have enough subdivisions for a terrain, although i get what you mean now, i could just increase the number using multiples of 6 to get a higher resolution.

(Mario Kolovos) #10

Nice one Felix, much appreciated also, i will give it a try.

Give a bigger buffer of flat area to your terrain shapes outer region.

Is there a particular reason why i must do this other than for smoothing purposes? I ask because the terrain needs to be quite tighter (less space) this is a tactical feature of the game and requirement to keep the gameplay at an acceptable zoom level.

(Felix Kütt) #11

Its to give the boolean operation geometry to work with. Once you try it out you should understand what I mean.

edit: basically the radius of the tile will be determined by the hex piece. You would use the hex piece like a cookie cutter to cut off the outermost part of your terrain tile mesh. Makes sense?

(Mario Kolovos) #12

Yep perfect makes sense now and may be the way to go, though i will persist and try create what Paul did too, in order to better my skils.

Many thanks gents, now how to select that both your replies have solved my question? hmmm…