Terrain modeling from counturs (autocad or rhino)

Hi to all…
i am an architect and a user of rhino…i want to ask if i can create a terrain from countors
also in sculpitng mode if i want to create a hill how i know the elevation of sculpting brush?

1 Like

see if this can help

happy bl

Possibly, if the contours are a curve they could be converted to mesh and then you could bridge the edges together. I don’t know how easy it would be for curves of varying verticies. Are you planning on bringing the contours in from another piece of software ie. CAD, or are you planning on doing them all in Blender?

Ricky’s idea is a good one for existing terrain, but for new construction, custom cuts and fills and the like would have to be modeled in some way.

thnx for reply…i can export the countours from rhino (.obj flie) and import them in blender…and then???

also i can elevate each countour in rhino… so in blender just make a mesh from the countours…and have my terrain with specific elevation…
somrthink like this…https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBnCAx51nCo

show us some pics to see what you get
and Identify what it is like mesh lines or curves ?

happy bl

You would have to make each curve a mesh object and then bridge the edges. That’s pretty much what the plugin is doing in 3DS. I might check on another method that just popped into my head when I get time, but this is how I would do it for now, and wish that I knew how to script.

so here is the workflow in rhino…
step 1. elevate the curves

step 2. patch curves to surface

and the u can further edit the surface with edit points if u like…
so is there a way to insert the curves from rhino…to blender and haveamesh surface? rhino curves.obj (2.3 KB)

Not sure of what you wish to do with this in Blender…
But just exporting the contours to Blender and have a mesh surface is far more complicated in Blender than Rhino…There is a Rhino>Blender Plug-in to bridge between, think the only requirement is the .3dm must be textured…HERE

I took your curves and converted them to mesh, then joined. Added a subdivided plane for the mesh… took your curves and used them to Knife project to the plane with cut-through ( did not separate… that cuts the plane along the curves making four face objects…selecting highest first, add height with Grab and grid-snap as well as proportional edit…repeat for each cut curve.

Note: I should have placed the plane inside the ends of the curves but I snapped to the ends and that made a slight mess on the edges…

thnx…it looks to work…but yeah its too comlicated…especially in cases u have many contours(open and closed curves,depend from the topography), but if u have a few curves maybe it works…!i was hoping doing this in blender with many counters woluld give a more detailed result than rhino…and maybe edit al ittle with sculping brush ans export again in rhino as mesh.

in the other hand i have try to import a surface from rhino to blender and sculpting a little for more detail and then export to rhino as a mesh and works fine…but the problem was sculpting havent accuracy of the extrusion elevation…thnx

is there anything in Rhino to set the height of each line ?
like curve’s name or some other var to be exported !

otherwise have to be done manually !

happy bl

usually i import the topography autocad file in rhino and there i elevate the curves manually…that its not big deal as i know the height value ftom autocad plan…i was hoping to have a surfae to sculpting with brushes for more local detail…
so plan b is to have my terrain from rhino and import it in blender sculpting localy with brushes for more detail and export back to rhino…thnx…is there a way to have accuracy about the height etrusion with brushes?