[Paid] Terrain Nodes Add-on

Get Paid Version Here

[Free version has been removed, it has fallen behind in updates as I am focusing on maintaining the current release and TN2.0]

9/29/2021
Version 1.1.0 has been released! Below is a list of updates.

Note: Previous node setups will have different behavior with this new release due to many changes that had to take place. This should not happen again in future releases.

This release includes new example files due to above note:

Iceland.blend includes a procedural grass shader, procedural cloud shader and geometry nodes generated cloud object:

reef.blend includes procedural terrain material and advanced water shader:

• New Diffusion Plates Node:

• New Gradient Node:

• New Status Bar (old one was removed from inside the Erosion Node):

• New Add menu. User can add a terrain object that will erode as soon as added and load a simple Terrain Nodes setup as well as a default material. Add menu also has an option to add a Terrain Nodes plane that uses Displacement or Micro Displacement:

• Improvement to the Sediment Slippage erosion algorithm, now slightly faster and better handles stable slope angle.
  • Improvements to Thermal Erosion, now also effects Rock layer.
  • Texture Baking now uses CPU by default, this was desired for higher resolution bakes that could not fit on the GPU (let me know if you want an option to choose GPU).
  • Large code refactor and restructuring for future development.
  • Fixed deleted objects hanging around.
  • Slightly faster speed for Noise generator nodes.
  • Removed some settings from the Erosion Node for complexity reduction. Options can be still found in the advanced settings.
  • Improvement to noise algorithms for simulations only.
  • Various minor improvements to erosion and simulation algorithms as well as fixes.
  • Various usability improvements.
  • Additional improvements to GPU out of memory protection.
  • New “Auto Scale Parameters” option in the erosion node. This option attempts to preserve the same erosion result at every scale. At 512x512 resolution it has no effect, but anything above or below will be scaled (mainly designed when going to higher resolutions for the final erosion). It works by scaling total number of cycles, rain frequency, and many other parameters from a base 512x512 resolution.

Terrain Nodes is an Add-on for fast GPU erosion and terrain generation. Create complex erosion setups using nodes inside Blender. Live preview layers as the terrain erodes. See the Gumroad page for full overview.

Terrain Nodes Website/Docs (still work in progress)

List is result, right image is input:

Twitter

Discord

21 Likes

That does look interesting. I like it.

1 Like

Is the terrain renderable directly (I assume this is initially viewport only) ? If not, is there an automated way of setting up all the necessary modifiers and the shaders for quick conversion?

1 Like

Hey thanks for asking, you only have to set it up once and it will update as you modify erosion / terrain generation. Checkout this time lapse https://youtu.be/8aD25sGWOyU?t=133

Edit: I have also included demo files which already have everything setup.

2 Likes

Awesome!! Waiting for the Linux release :star_struck:

1 Like

Hey I got it running on Linux Mint and so far it is working really good. Still need to do a bit of testing before I publish it. Here is a video screen capture.

1 Like

Left is input terrain at 128x128 resolution generated in ANT Landscape and right is the upscale and eroded 1024x1024 output, simulated in 8 seconds on GTX 1070 in Linux Mint (will upload Linux version tomorrow).

3 Likes

Terrain Nodes now supports Linux as well!

Below is a real time recording in Linux Mint, using NVIDIA GTX 1070

3 Likes

Some landscape tests made with the TN.

https://artifact.artstation.com/projects/XnEJy0

Really nice. I can’t seem to get these deep cutting flow ridges from the terrain output (green channel of stwr map). I tried following the youtube tutorial but it just looses all definition, the input noise map just gets smoothed instead of gaining detail. Any tips?

1 Like

Hey, sorry I am on vacation right now so not near a computer. To get deep erosion lines reduce the height of rain to 0.01 or lower, and rain frequency to 400. Increase sediment carry capacity to like 20.

I should be back on Saturday and I can upload a demo scene for you. :slight_smile:

Also, checkout Discord channel for help!

1 Like

Thanks, enjoy your vacation! You did great work on this.

1 Like

Thanks!!! :grin: :grin:

I need some help

I just buy it, and enable it in blender 2.92.0rc, it give this error “Error during GPC lib load,see console”

"Traceback (most recent call last):
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\blender-2.92.0rc-windows64\2.92\scripts\modules\addon_utils.py”, line 434, in disable
mod.unregister()
File “C:\Users\lijianjian01\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\terrain_nodes_init_.py”, line 169, in unregister
nodeitems_utils.unregister_node_categories(‘TERRAIN_NODES’)
File “C:\Program Files\Blender Foundation\blender-2.92.0rc-windows64\2.92\scripts\modules\nodeitems_utils.py”, line 172, in unregister_node_categories
del _node_categories[identifier]
KeyError: ‘TERRAIN_NODES’

"
I also update my graphics card driver, still have this problem, and second time i can’t open my blender. my card is Geforce GTX 1070

Hmm that is the same card I have. What is your GPU driver version? Current version is 461.40, make sure it is the same one.

To keep Blender from failing to start (for now) you will need to go to the add-on folder and delete it manually:
C:\Users\lijianjian01\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.92\scripts\addons\

Also, if you have Discord please respond there, it is much easier to share screenshots and direct messages: https://discord.com/invite/qQ2cYHQ

I update the driver using " GeForce Experience" .
Now the addon is working for me . So i need buy it again ?

1 Like

Hey, that’s great news!!

Yes, I have issued a refund, so you will need to order again, thanks :slight_smile:

Does it work with the textured version of ANT landscape?

1 Like

Hey, I just tried installing the latest version of this addon, but it failed to start due to some module missing error, so I cannot test it myself. But watching the video tutorial it looks like this addon generates images, you can load these images directly into Terrain Nodes for erosion. If you load them from the drive Terrain Nodes will detect when they have been modified and restart simulation automatically from beginning next time you run it.

Terrain Nodes actually works very similar to TXA_ANT as in it also outputs images for use with the subdivision modifier and displacement. (Soon it will also output actual geometry).

New experimental Terrain / Landscape output Node has been added. See it in action here:

https://twitter.com/ValeraBarashkov/status/1364429773829795842?s=20

3 Likes