Terran Marine WIP

it looks like a toy…but still
Better than my old iron man eh?

(i hope so)

Attachments

not bad, though it’s pretty much low poly. Would be good for game engine I guess

Some wireframes would help aswell

wireframes!! btw its for an animation.

Attachments

The mesh looks good, you are really being let down by the material and texturing though which is a shame because you have done a good job on the mesh.

You can try to make it very detailed and then just bake the UVs or just draw all those cables on a texture… otherwise pretty good job so far!
Are you using the SC1 or the SC2 marine for reference? I guess it’s the SC2 one but that’s just me :slight_smile:
Anyways, could you post a multi-angle look at the rifle?

I really like it, although I’m not really objective when it comes to Starcraft stuff :smiley: I think you’ve gotten some really good proportions going making it look like someone in a big power armor. Like Sammo54 I think the texturing and rendering does it injustice.

The model is great for an animation, but again, as aforementioned…

But still, good work:)

This work just rocks. I can’t pick anything for you to improve on.

hehe thanks for the advices and comments…i’ve been trying to learn about normal mapping in the past few days. still coming up with a result. updating soon!

hehe…updating now

sooooo weird…i think its broken…

Attachments

Oh my…
Ok just take a look at the Starcraft II trailer that was shown at Blizzard WWI 2007(Korea). Check out the marine, fix the reflection/shading/whatever levels, stuff like that.
Also check out the blender wiki (wiki dot blender dot org (sorry for this format but because of the anti-bot weap I won’t post direct links)) for Normal map baking. Another thing - try to UV-unwrap the mesh(check out UV-mapping) and then just draw a bump map(it’s kinda easier) and transform it into a normal map using some of the Bump-to-Normal techniques(you can find alot of those on the i-net I guess).
Again, good work on the mesh, but you need to improve the materials :slight_smile:
Good Luck!

heres the gun…I experimented with the bump mapping and this is what came out.

Attachments

I guess you haven’t UV-unwrapped it yet :slight_smile:
Check this out: (note: can’t post a link to the site due to that anti-bot thing, check the credits at the bottom right corner of the pic )
http://blog.gamerpk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/rifle3.jpg
That was made after the SC2 gauss rifle and it should give you a nice idea about the details on it(I guess Jan did a hell of a job making it look like the one from the trailer… GJ to him as a sidenote). Try bump/normal-mapping your rifle while having this one as a reference :slight_smile:

Oh nice Lwerewolf!

I will use that… but for now i show you the marine. With some normal mapping!!!
somethings wrong…i know. i cant get that black stuff off him…how?:confused:

Attachments

It seams like you have a problem with the normals. Go through all of your meshes in edit mode, select all vertices and the hit CTRL + N to flip the normals, that might help you

Also, if you’ve got problem with the flipping(dunno the exact term for it, it’s caused when an edge is a part of more than two faces) set all those faces to “solid” and make another render just to show us the real normal-mapped marine while you try to fix that problem… if it exists :slight_smile:

What’s normal anyway? Is it supposed to look this way?
:confused::confused::confused:

I have flipped every mesh, solidificated all objects, but to no avail…
what do I do? :frowning: :frowning:

Attachments

This pops up when i try to render the marine…Why?
I just added armature then it fails…:frowning:
Any ideas?

Attachments

I dont know what went wrong but i managed to fix it. I exported the meshes,imported them to a new one and reload all the normal maps then it worked!!:smiley:

now…how do i do them shiny visors and stuff?

Attachments

Check the article at Wikipedia about normal mapping. You don’t need normal maps in order to have a good model, I guess. Try using procedural noise textures as bump-maps just to achieve a worn-out feel. Otherwise, I guess the only exposed hi-tech parts of the marine armour are between the chestpiece and the leg-pieces(those pipe-thingies, check out the trailer again).
About the “shinyness” factor - mess around with the shaders. Try adding a high specularity setting, mess with the hardness, raise the reflection, stuff like that. It’s entirely up to your taste :slight_smile:

EDIT: Check out the front plate… to me it seems like there are some proportion problems with it. Good luck :slight_smile:

Looky Looky!!! Its my mariney;) times three-ey…

Attachments