Terrrain LOD [UPDATE: dynamic shadows !!] huge open world for all (glsl shader)

I found a node combination that can work instead the cuadratic textures:
http://www.blenderartists.org/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=248755&d=1374737438
Is possible to implement a system like this for make easier the work with stencil and textures in the LOD?
And, i am investigate for a stencil system that permise using more heightmaps and stencilmaps, instead online one.

@ LFDA: that would be definitely nice to make the material this way. Unfortunately, this system relies on a vertex shader… When a custom vertex shader is made, it has to go with a custom pixel shader. So it is impossible to use a standard material, or even a node material on this terrain. I really hope harmony branch to be finished and integrated soon so that limitation doesn’t exists anymore…

I’m sorry about the big uncleariness of this system. It is still under “development”, a lot of thing in it are still to be changed or upgraded… But I really plan to make an in-depth tutorial/doc so it can be understood completely for everyone, once this system reach a final state.

Hi benj, thanks for your reply and I’m sorry you get this so late. I’m still interested in that small demo file, so if you want to and have the time… I would be thankful. Because I need to deform a big mesh. I already have some basic python knowledge, but I’m not so familiar with the shader coding language.

Hi all, this guide looks very useful, I wish to practice it, but just starting I have a nobel designer problem, what I must to do to get this model of subdivide …
[ATTACH=CONFIG]252500[/ATTACH]

This is the normal way…

• Create a plane with radius of 64, this will give a plane with dimensions of 128 X 128 Blender Units.
  • Add a Subsurf Modifier to the plane of type Simple with 6 divisions and apply the Modifier. This will give 64 X 64 segments of 4m² each.
  • Copy the object and scale the mesh double its size. Select the polys in the center and remove.
  • Repeat the previous step 3 times. So the last plane has dimensions of 2048 X 2048 Blender Units.
  • Then join the five objects (Ctrl+J), Remove Doubles and Recalculate.

Depending on what offset you need, you could remove the outer polys (for example half of them) each time you scale the next object. But better remove the center pieces after adding all of them because otherwise you would be missing some polys.

Edit: Here’s a video tutorial.

edited

Thank you mate, nowadays I can’t try it, my computer is broked down, since I get it back I try it. :thumbup:

Enviado desde mi HTC One usando Tapatalk 4

Hey, long time since i last chacked this thread, how is progress going? Any chance you can upload a blend with the dynamic shadows?

I’m curious too how this would work with dynamic shadows. Hope benj is still active on the forum.

This should have become a modifier for landscape in the BGE.

Is this method still shader based, with the including limitations, and why is it not made as addon installer file ?

Yes, otherwise it would be a different resource.
Because there’s no need for it at present.

I have no words to thank you enought for sharing this with all the comunity!<br><br>You are awesome, thank you, keep going like this! :smiley:

So total noob here with Blender (though I’ve done a lot of GLSL using C++ and Qt). How do I get this working? And where’s the link? The link on the first page seems to not be everything (maybe??). Thanks! This looks absolutely amazing. Trying to get a planet renderer working in GLSL for my own entertainment and this looks like a great resource.

wow this looks amazing!

I hope somebody is still monitoring this thread. This is such a wonderful shader for detailed large terrains! I have several questions if you guys don’t mind. Is it possible to place objects on the terrain? How would I go about that? Could someone take a look at the scripts to figure out how to keep my player from dropping through the terrain, start on the terrain, and have him follow the terrain? I’m trying to start exploring the scripts so I can learn how to do more with the engine, but I’m kind of lost. Please tell me the name of the script, and the line number so I can tweak it myself.

Thank you!

Is there a way to use the grass shader not on this terrain but just on usual mesh?

after a quick look at the code I think the grass sharder is based on an heightmap image, so as long as you can get an heightmap of your mesh It will work. (Note that the sharder have NO connection to the actual mesh)

also note that this it is based on my own understanding of the sharder.

I thought about that, but it will require the original terrain plane too (with the LOD shader and textures, including the heighmap).

why? plz explain
according to my understanding of the script I think you could just generate an new heighmap of your own prefered object, apply the script and run in. There might be some lines that you need to modify of the script but I don’t think it would be that hard. and ofc apply the height map to your new object.