Testing svg

Ok first test - SVG as objects

Tried to import (simple but long 50-200 tag) SVG graphics into blender, stuff I made with ruby SVG library. Inkscape eats these happily (valid), but neither blender 2.42s’s import-functions experimental nor the ‘old method based on obj’ work properly.

Nothing appears in the 3D window or the scene-tree. Tested with 3 different SVG files with sizes from 9,5 to 20,3 KB.

Second test - Lets try using SVG as textures (this is my main interest).

I make a new image texture, load image and select a .svg file. No error. The preview window is black, but if I change the Xrepeat Yrepeat values preview is redrawn. ?

Texture does not affect the preview of texture or the rendering of material in any way. Tested with 3 different SVG files with sizes from 9,5 to 20,3 KB.

Finally tested these 3 SVG files mentioned above with Konqueror SVG preview and Inkscape and both open and display the SVG graphics correctly (as before).

So in other words:

Blender 2.42a does NOT support SVG.

I had problems with this, but I fixed it. It DOES support it, but it’s VERY large. You zoom out as much as you can.

If that doesn’t work, edit the SVG file and scale it down to a tenth of the size. Then import it and zoom out until you see it. If not, then continue making it smaller, and zooming out to see it. I wanted to make a Yafray symbol, and the SVG didn’t seem to work, but I eventually did this and I got it to work. Only problem is that it was very messy, and I had to really edit it for it to work without a lot of doubles and blank outlined areas.

By the way, I used 2.42a. Make sure you aren’t using 2.42.

Well, it wouldnt be the first time I am mistaken or fail to use blenda correctly. I’ll play with it some more.

Would love svg images for textures, vectors take up tiny space compared to bitmaps but can reproduce detail very accurately.

i think vector is the future, tho im not sure how easy it is to wrap vector over vector… :rolleyes:

good attitude! there’s alot on this forum that could learn from you.

yah, while vector may be the future raster will (in my opinion) never die. you simply cannot get the level of detail in raster gfx in vector. to make a noisy, dirty texture with vector you’d either have to use procedurals (not very easy to get right), or pretty much trace every single pixle it the original raster… which is a much bigger file (usually: raster: 3 or 4 floats per pixel, vector traced: 4 pts * 2 coordinates [x,y] * 3 points [center, 2handles] = 24!, that’s six times bigger.) edit: and that doesn’t even include the color values that it must have too.

edit again: I think the future is in mixing the two, having big areas that are all mostly the same color be vector and patches that need too could be raster… I think I might just have to invent a file format like this… (I think SVG will allready do it, maybe I’ll just right some code that converts sections of an image to vector where raster is not needed…)

Have had good success creating logos in Inkscape and importing them to Blender to give them some depth.

Spyres - So you have managed to bring vectors into Blender 2.42a and extruded them etc?

yah, while vector may be the future raster will (in my opinion) never die.

Well, who knows. While we wait and see, I want my vector textures!! This thread is about using SVG.

to make a noisy, dirty texture with vector you’d either have to use procedurals (not very easy to get right)

Nothing wrong with procedural textures. I love procedural textures, as much as I love a good synthesizer (sound). Synth isnt the same as natural sound though…

Nowadays its easy as walk in a park. Just twiddle with few knobs - before you had to write C!

I think future is generative, procedural, genetic. Few kilos of ‘genetic code’ can contain a whole scene with models and textures. But thats another thread. This one is about SVG and Blender.

Yeah, here’s a little advice.

Save as “plain .svg” from Inkscape.

When importing select “Scale on Height” (can control super large imports a bit)

I used the “older import method”. (the experimental version seems to be crashing on me with 2.42a at this time)

and (very important)

Before extruding, make sure you select the imported object and then hit “Control-a” to “apply scale and rotation”.