Texface "baking".

UVmapping in Blender is a breeze. Just select some faces and use the unwrap functions. Then load an image into the UV/Image editor and you’re done. Don’t forget though, to turn on the TexFace button in the materials screen and your textures render nicely.

My problem is with the concept ‘texturing’ in Blender. It seems you can have UV Texture with different layers when working from the UV/Image editor, but then you can also have image textures through the Materials screens.
These two seem to work differently. What I thought is that using UV/Image editor is a way of ‘rapid prototyping’ your textures. Hence the TexFace ‘trick’. But hey, now I want to use my texture to influence Reflectivity also. No way if you have been following the UV/Image editor route.

So please, could we all agree on TexFace being a shortcut and include a button in Blender to easily convert UV textures to plain textures with UV coordinates.
So I can use them in nodes. So I can map them to other channels. And so on and on.

Please tell me I am missing out on some point here ?

Maybe I’m not understanding your question.

After you unwrap your UV in in the UV Image editor, what you really have is a UV texture map and you can map any material texture with that UV map. Just apply a texture to your material and choose UV in the Map To panel. Don’t have Tex Face on when you do this.

Now the texture will conform to your mesh as you mapped it, and it will also let you map them to channels, reflect light off them and all that good stuff.

The only place where you might get hung up is if you have given your UV map a unique name in the Mesh panel. Then you would also have to eneter the name of your UV map in the "UV: " box that pops up in the Map To panel when you select UV as your mapping method.

Hope that’s understandable and that I actually am answering the question you are asking. :slight_smile:

LYnda

I really don’t see it working like this. If I create an UV map and use more than one image for this the UV Texture is still called UVTex all the way through. When I than create a Texture in Material butons, which image do I load up. How can this texture know what image to apply the UV map on.

I tried just creating a new texture and selecting Map Input: UV. The object renders plain red, the material settings.

This is really confusing me.

I succeed, by loading an image into the texture, to map my object but all mappings are done on that same image, not on separate images like I did my UVs in the editor.

I don’t understand why there isn’t a “texface setup with multiple images and mappings” to material knob. (or something)

I don’t know why textface isn’t deprecated or removed.

OK -
Are you using an image as your texture or painting one in the UV/Tex ture editor?

If you are painting one, save it. If it is an image you already have a saved one on your hard drive somewhere, right?

Start in the materials panels. The Texture panel should shat something like TE: Tex. Add a new texture (not really needed, but do that for now just in case you have any other textures already in your blend file.

Then go to the texture panels. Under texture type select image. Then in the image panel choose load and go find your saved image. Just for good measure also select the “pack” button for now so a copy gets saved right in your blend file.

Now you should have a material. It has one new tex that we just assigned to it. And that tex has been assigned an image (photo, saved texture or whatever).

All you have to do now is choose UV as your mapping, add that UV map name if you’ve named it, and you should have the nicely mapped texture on your image.

Now if you want to apply some other texture with the same mapping you can do that by adding a second texture in the texture panel. OR you could add a second texture as a bump or normal map, and even UV map that one with a different UV map to that same mesh.

So one mesh can have 1 or more UV maps associated with it.
One mesh can have 1 or more materials assigned to it’s polygon faces.
One material can have 1 or more textures. A texture can be applied with any of the mesh’s UV maps - just specify which one. A texture can be an image or a Blender procedural texture, It can even be an image saved from your texture painting in the UV/Image editor. A texture is also assigned to one or more channels to affect color, bump, dispalcement or whatever.

Is this making it clearer or worse? You should probably be able to get your texture saved, loaded as a texture image, mapped to the mesh with a UV map, and rendered now.

Lynda

Your scenario works perfectly well, except, you can have multiple images per UV mapping, something you can’t redo through Material buttons. (only one map per image)

I can solve this by running the script “consolidate in one image”, then all images are fused together and I can use UVs to get proper mapping.

Still I think there should be a button to do this conversion on a texture-per-image basis, so I would end up with an automatic setup with one texture per image used in the editor.

What? You can have multiple images per uvmap in the materials too. But you have to follow the rules of what appears on top and on the bottom.

Maybe I do not understand?

It’s just like this: the whole mesh is textured according to UV maps using the bottom (last) texture you applied to the material.

Only thing you can do is use one UV Tex per image in the UV/Image editor.

I don’t see why you can use multiple images then.

Its just a mess.

Someone should rewrite the texturing code.