Text in the BGE

Quick question here: does the Text feature work in the BGE (that is, am I doing something wrong that mine isn’t showing up)? I’m referring to this in particular: http://wiki.blender.org/index.php/Doc:Manual/Modelling/Text

I know that it’s possible to get text in-game by mapping a plane to a specially created .tga from a .ttf (which I’ve done), but the built-in Text feature solves a lot of messy problems I had anticipated so I was hoping it’s just a problem on my end and not an unimplemented feature. Currently, any text I make using the feature shows up fine in renders, and not at all in the BGE.

Anyone have some insight by chance?

click on your text and press alt+c
hope that helped:D

Edit: Actually, shoot. This is not what I was hoping for : /

What I understand your suggestion to do (and please correct me if I’m wrong) is turn the existing Font object into a mesh basically, but that removes the possibility of editing the text.

What I’m trying to do is have a page of text that can just be updated from an external file–pretend you’re looking at an open book image with text on both sides and want to turn the page. All the text should change even if the background image doesn’t. The Font feature allows me to do easy word wrapping and font selection, but BGE’s text feature is pretty limited (again, correct me if I’m wrong here) in that you basically just add a plane, then scale and hope for the best.

BGE’s version can at least handle escape characters like
, so I don’t have to make a new object for every line, but the lack of a scalable Text Frame is going to make any lengthy amount of text an absolute nightmare. : /

Thanks anyway, I guess I’ll plug away at it or try something else for a while.