Text to Mesh Difficulty - Need each character to be individually editable

Hello all!

New to Blender and to the forum. I’ve searched for an answer to my problem but have not found anything quite like it. It could be that I just don’t know the best terminology to use for a search.

I’ve set some text and (alt+C) converted to mesh. In Edit Mode I can do some editing, but in Object Mode I am unable to select individual characters. I need to be able to apply materials to each character individually, and I also need to be able to make each face of the extruded character different. So far I if I apply a material to a face it goes across all faces of the entire word.

I’ve spent about three hours doing everything I know (which admittedly isn’t all that much) but I can’t even find a clue as to what I need to do.

Any help is much appreciated!

In edit mode you would need to select the mesh for each letter then P to seperate by selection.

You dont need to seperate the letters to apply textures to each letter; depending on what you need to do it may be easier though.

Ah! So simple and yet so… HIDDEN!

Thank you so very much, WB! You have ended my frustration! With the possible exception of the frustration I feel about the hair I’ve oulled out trying to figure this out on my own!

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

F