Texture does not show up

I have a torus to which I added a material and a texture choosing ‘from file’. It doesn’t show up on the object. A texture that I clicked and dragged into another object does.

Worst. UI. Ever. Period. If you like it then that is only because you already know it.

Did you uv unwrap the object and add the texture to the material.

Best to supply a link to your blend file and texture for specific answers

Why is doing that necessary? Every tutorial I see you just add material, add texture, choose ‘from file’ and choose the file and it works. It does not work for me.

Nevermind I give up. This program is completely unlearnable in anything less than hundreds of hours. I’m a trained draftsman and modeler and this is the WORST PROGRAM I HAVE EVER USED in any format. I’ve owned my own computer since I was a child over 25 years ago and this honestly takes the cake for worst UI even beating out the very early versions of 3DS and AutoCad and even the sucktasticness of MicroStation.

Why is doing that necessary? Every tutorial I see you just add material, add texture, choose ‘from file’ and choose the file and it works. It does not work for me.
You have to specify how a texture gets mapped to an object. How do you want a flat texture to be applied to a three dimensional object, there are an infinite ways it can be done. You also need to be in texture ore render view to see applied textures in ther 3d viewport.