Texture help please, GIMP & Blender

Hi All,

First time poster, I’ve started using blender over the past couple of months. I love using it but I’ve hit a wall in a tutorial I’m doing. I’m not allowed post links to the tutorial but its a nice and easy house modeling tutorial. I’ve got the modelling done without issue but the last part of the tutorial is really vague about applying textures to the UV map using GIMP. I’ve got the UVs all into one image and exported to gimp but the problem I have is how do I use GIMP to apply the textures, anytime I shrink the texture to map to the UV I lose quality because I have to shrink them so much.

Does anyone know of a good tutorial they could point me in the direction of that teaches UV/texturing in GIMP and best practices etc. I’m thinking maybe I should export the UV as a bigger image size but I don’t want to go down that road right now as I’ve wasted two days going down the rabbit hole already and gotten no where.

Cheers

Export UV layout saves an image representation of the UV map, the actual UV coordinates stay in Blender. You can increase the texture map size as long the aspect ratio stays the same and the UV’s will line up. The raster version of the UV layout won’t be as accurate when scaled up but that shouldn’t be a problem around the UV island boundaries because you should have texture bleed outside them anyway to avoid artifacts with mipmapping.

The UV islands should cover as much of the UV area as possible to maximize texture pixel (texel) density, of course keeping the UV island size consistent where the density needs to be consistent.

You could also choose to have UV’s of same/similar mesh parts on top of each other to use the same portion of the texture to all of them, saving overall UV area space and allowing to increase texel density for everything. Could also use/make multiple image textures with one UV map by having Multiple UV islands cover the whole area, and then using different materials on those mesh parts. Those materials would have different textures assigned, which in turn would still be using the same UV coordinates (same UV map).

Well.
You haven’t advertised some great product all the community here should go an check out using link you (hadn’t) posted; you have asked question which has to do with Blender in a proper section of forum… so, technically, while you could quickly post 10 times to be legit to post links, what you could do instead is not to write http preamble. No http, no link ;). That is, if i understand correctly why you haven’t posted link to the tutorial. Maybe this is something paid for, then, well, i am not the one to ask.

Concerning textures - this is like if you had a paint bucket to paint a house. Say, there is 1 pint of paint and you have done painting your model house. Will it be enough to paint real sized building using the same amount of paint?
This time it’s not the volume, it’s pixels on area. Say, you used 1024x1024 tileable image for the roof; image was set 3 times width and 4 times on length for the roof. Similarly, you could have used texture for the walls and model rendered looks just great.
Now, when you want to combine all this in one image which is same 1024x1024 pixels, don’t you think there wont be enough paint to paint the house?
When at baking, from this moment on all is about compromises - what you can afford and what should get less attention, less texels, less space on the final bake UVs. What is the final texture file size you can afford before your PC crashes or game stutters.

Hope helps, no tutorial links at hands unfortunately.

Thanks so much for your answer, makes sense, I’ll try tonight and let you know how I get on.