texture methods

In a couple of the other 3D apps I’ve use, there was a method of manipulating a texture on the object itself (rotationg, scale etc) - usually with little grabber handles (as opposed to settings on the tool bar).

In Blender - on the Texture pane (Map Input) - I can adjust the x,y,z values, scale etc. But this is all via settings in the panel.

Problem is, I have a wood grain texture that im trying to apply to an object, but the grain is running the wrong way, and I can’t get the settings to produce the intended result.

Is there a way to see those changes on the fly, and manually rotate and scale the texture map on the model?

Another related issue is that in the 3D view, when I click on Textured, as the Draw Type - I don’t see the texture, just highlight values. I suppose I will need to deal with that before this manual texture adjustment issue.

any thoughts?

b{[]}x

You may change the texture space with T in Object mode.

Use an empty as input for the texture coordinates. See:
http://mediawiki.blender.org/index.php/Tutorials/Textures/Wood

No, sorry, you can’t (if you don’t want to use an absurd high number of vertices). The only textures you can see in the 3D View are UV mapped images.

thanks for the reply Soylent

You may change the texture space with T in Object mode.

Thats the simple answer (perfect) thanks

Use an empty as input for the texture coordinates. See:

I am working up some images of furniture my company makes (laminate sensitive), so I need to use jpg swatches (I can’t use the procedural textures for these).

However, I did sucessfully go through this tutorial. Still new to blender, so it was the first time i’ve put empties to use. Could you describe a little more how empties are used normally? (So its basically a null object that you give attributes that can then be utilized by other objects?)

No, sorry, you can’t (if you don’t want to use an absurd high number of vertices). The only textures you can see in the 3D View are UV mapped images.

All I actually wanted to see was the UV mapped image. However, for some reason I cannot see the image map - the model just looks gray. The “T” button image movement (which inadvertently, I found does not support rotation) looks like it should function, but without being able to see the image… kinda useless. I assume it something with my settings…

any further ideas would be great

at any rate, thanks

b{}x

You should be able to see UVMapped Images in the 3D Viewport with Alt-Z. You can rotate the mapped Image with R in 90 deg steps, or by rotating the UVMesh relative to the Image in the UV Editor (click the Lock icon in the editor Header bar).

Use a Material with UV Images then, in the Material tab in F5 click TexFace on.

You cannot map UVMapped Images to an Empty nor can you use any of the T (texture Space) functions with them.

Basically, your best bet for what you’re doing is UV Mapping. If you get stuck then post a .blend with Packed Data (File >> Pack Data or click the Icon in the UV Editor that looks like a wrapped box) and pack before saving so that we get your texture in the blend at this end.

%<

To rotate an image texture easily, press the Rot 90 button in the image texture buttons.

This won’t work for any other type of texture as the button only appears for image textures.

The other slightly more confusing method, is to change the xyz button configoration in the material buttons, where the scale & offset values are. (Useful for rotating procedural textures.)

Sonix.

I’m seeing a contradiction here…

If you’re manipulating the texture space of an object then you’re not using UV mapping (Which essentially is matching the co-ordinates of the mesh’s faces against a 2D image), so you won’t be able to see it in the editor.

On the other hand if you are using a UV map (and if you don’t know what that means, the answer is you aren’t!) then changing the texture space will have no effect!!!

Thanks all for your replys.

If you’re manipulating the texture space of an object then you’re not using UV mapping

Your completely right - i’m not useing UV Mapping.

Obviously my inexperience is showing through ;]

(Honestly - I’ve played arround with several 3d apps - without getting into complex skinning methods. Now I’ve got some really specific needs and its forceing me to really wrap my head arround these techniques… I feel like i did with Flash a couple years ago ;] At this point I’m pretty keen on learning Blender pretty deeply - so the help is really appreciated! )

Ok - at any rate, to achieve these wood textures: I am applying a jpg image as an image texture (not a UV Mapped image). I am using the Glob tab the Map Input panel to align the image to the model (which has finally produced acceptable results).

So now - I still cannot see the texture in the Texture draw mode.

You should be able to see UVMapped Images in the 3D Viewport with Alt-Z

Does that mean that the only images I will be able to see in the viewport are those that are UVMapped ? (and thats why the model just shows up white?)

Basically, your best bet for what you’re doing is UV Mapping.

Could very well be. I’ve watched the video tutorial, so I understand the principle - but haven’t yet tried it (I’ll post a .blend if i get stuck).

thanks again

b{}x

Ok - ran through the UV Mapper tutorial… and after some screwing around - I finally got the UV mapped texture to show up in the viewport and in the render.

It seems like the only way I could get the image to show up on the model (in Texture Draw Mode) - was to select that image via Image>Open in the UV Editor viewport. And that image can show up with no material applied at all (but the render requires the image texture to be applied to the material).

Still haven’t found a way to view a non-UVmapped image on the model in the 3D viewport (as an image-textured material) - and that is my remaining question…

ok - I think I’m finally getting my head around this - - -

b{[]}x

Still haven’t found a way to view a non-UVmapped image on the model in the 3D viewport (as an image-textured material)

There is no way, you have a Preview window in the Buttons window in F5 and F6 buttons.

%<