Texture paint across multiple uvmaps

Hello,

I am doing an outdoor project and have decided to try creating the immediate player view ground texture using blender. I have no clue if this is the best technique to use as I am a beginner, but I figure I will try.

To keep detail I want to separate the ground into a grid of planes using multiple uv maps (as having only one uv map stretched would be low resolution).

So now the issue comes with seamlessly texturing each of the grids together using texture paint. I cannot seem to get blender to allow me to paint on multiple planes at the same time.

If I’m not explaining clearly, please let me know. Attached is a basic screenshot showing what I’d like to be able to do.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide and happy new year!

Am I completely off for wanting this type of workflow?

Any insight you might have is greatly appreciated. (even if you don’t have the answer) As I said I am a beginner so I’m totally open minded.

You are not off. :slight_smile:
Btw, you need all the planes to be the same object (even with th evertices not welded) and each “plane” with its own material and relative image to paint on.

Try this:
1 - Give a different material with a different image map to each plane;
2 - Select all the planes and join them in Object Mode (Ctrl + J);
3 - Go in texture Paint mode and now you should be able to paint on all the images in real time.
4 - Save All Images (you can also save them before to join the planes, so when you save them at the end, the painted textures will be saved with the name you choose and in the directory you choose).

Let us know if it works. :slight_smile:

OMG! You are literally a life saver. I was getting ready to change my whole plan and checked the thread “just incase” someone responded…

Thank you, thank you… karma+1