Texture Painting inconsistency

So I’m texture painting and everything is going fine when eevee starts doing some strange things. See attached video link and screenshot. The color/tones are inconsistent. Having a shade of grey up is no guarantee that you’ll get grey, regardless of blending mode selected (mix, value, add, multiply, etc.). There are also strange artifacts appearing on the model here and there. Not sure what they are, but it’s frustrating as hell.
Fortunately I’m just making a map to bring into photoshop for detailing, but it sure would be nice to know what’s happening. If there’s something I’m missing, I’m at a loss for what it is. Normals are facing out, model unwrapped, texture in proper slot, material made with proper node setup, etc. etc. and so on. Is this just a bug in 2.82?

YouTube Vid: Texture Paint Issues

TextPaintIssue|690x388

I have the same issues. Many times I can’t get the color I want and I think it has a lot to do with how blender bleeds colors through each other, as opposed to blending them smoothly. I’ve been bringing it up in another thread and people look at me like I have two heads. Theres something not right about the way blender handles color in regard to painting and anyone who has used zbrush knows this when they see it.

1 Like

I don’t remember having these issues in 2.7x, but I do most of my texturing work in Photoshop anyway. I use the native texture painting tools to generate rough maps of what I need then use the clone, blur, and smudge tools in blender to help with obvious seams when necessary. It would be really nice to be able to simply paint away in blender though. I hope this hasn’t become a casualty of progress in other areas. With the improvements being made to the grease pencil I’m hopeful this will get worked out.

I watched your video, but I’m not sure what’s supposed to be weird.

The first thing to keep in mind is that you’re painting with a texture mask-- more, a texture mask that has various shades of gray, rather than being black and white. That means that none of your brushes are actually working at full strength.

There were basically only two things that I thought might be confusing, but really aren’t: painting with a red value mix doesn’t tint anything, because all a value mix does is replace the value of HSV. There was some other situation where you were mixing with a gray over something tinted, but the reason the gray didn’t fully eliminate the color was because you were using a texture mask that limited the strength of the brush.

It sounds like you’re familiar with PS, and all of this stuff is just like PS (they’re pretty standard blend modes.) Each time you click, think of it as being a new layer in a PS document over your previous image, using your texture mask as a mask, in the mix mode specified by your PS layer, with the layer opacity set by the brush strength. When you release the button, the layers are flattened. When you click the button, it does it all over again.

I can take a filled black square and begin painting in it in any blend mode and what you see (weird patterns and shapes appearing inside the painted areas) is what happens. On the left side of the attached image is what appears to be sequential lines of dots with circles around them: these appear 100% of the time if I paint on the UV side of the texture painting workspace, regardless of blend mode, color, brush strength, or any other variable and are not intended. On the right side you can see where the circles on the front of the toes of the character are different shades of grey. Whether I use tones or hues is irrelevant: the color is different depending on where I paint on the model. There are no other maps applied to the model, there is no reason these inconsistencies should appear as far as I can tell. In the video, the color or tone starts solid and turns into a bizarre pattern. This pattern consistently appears, again regardless of color or tone used, blending mode used, or whether it is a new image, filled image, image with completely transparent background, or any combination thereof. I started a completely new file, made a sphere, unwrapped it, created a new texture and began painting on it and the same thing happens.

Like I said, I’m only using Blender’s native tools to create a rough map of where I want things to be, then exporting the UV’s for embellishment in Photoshop. Blending, cloning and blurring seem to work fine, this only happens with the paintbrush tool, so I can work around it. It just would be nice to know what’s going on because I’ve never seen it happen in previous versions.

Maybe I have a corrupted install… I’ll try a clean install and see if that corrects the issue.

I think you’ve been messing with settings without knowing what they do, and now you’re seeing what they do-- but now you’ve messed with too many settings to understand which ones are responsible for which.

What you ought to do is reload a fresh file and experiment on that, which ought to restore your settings to more reasonable ones.

This is because you’re using a texture mask for your painting. You have mask enabled. Look in that.

This is because of your stroke method and spacing, in sidebar/tool/stroke. Blender doesn’t literally draw lines; it samples your strokes at regular intervals instead, drawing dots.

I can’t see, because you’re in a rendered viewport using lighting and, presumably, some materials with specular, but getting different strengths of painting can happen very easily when using “normal falloff”, enabled by default, in sidebar/tool/falloff/normal falloff.

1 Like

Entirely possible… however…

This was in fact the problem. I just cleared the texture from the slot and voila! I thought I was creating the texture to paint on and was in fact setting said texture as a mask.

Thanks (sincerely!) for pointing that out.