Texture panel sometimes empty, sometimes not

If I start Blender and, with the default scene left untouched, click on the material tab, followed by the texture tab, then I see a defined texture. However, if I then click on the particle system tab, followed by the texture tab, I don’t see any defined textures. This is reproducible. I can click around among the tabs, while the texture plays hide-and-seek depending upon which tab I viewed previously.

What’s up with that? Does anyone else see this behavior? I’m running 2.64.

Tab into the material tab first and then tab into texture tab, tab.

Sorry, I don’t understand your reply.

If you go from Material to Textures blender assumes you want to add a Material texture
If you go from World to Textures blender assumes you want to add a World texture
If you go from Lamp to Textures blender assumes you want to add a Lamp texture
If you go from Particles to Textures blender assumes you want to add a Particle texture

If it assumes incorrectly just change to the right texture type at the top of the textures panel

Ah, that makes sense.

Do you happen to know where that is documented? Because I obviously missed it, and probably missed something else along with it.

Doubt it is documented except in the source code. It is purely from observation of this exact behaviour over a number of blender versions over a number of years, and it seems pretty logical.

It’s logical. A blatant abuse of the tab UI paradigm, but logical. It works so well that I never even encountered any inconsistency until today.

I really wish stuff like this was documented.

It’s hardly a inconsistency. You just need to remind blender what you want to see before clicking texture tab.
Muscle memory goes a long way.

either way if its empty the “material , particle , lamp , paint or world” box is right there … right at the top :slight_smile: