Texture properties in cycles

Hi All,
This is a noob question:
When I use cycles and try to add a texture in the properties panel, I only get the “World” option, how do I change that to “object”?

Thanks

When I use cycles and try to add a texture in the properties panel, I only get the “World” option, how do I change that to “object”?
No screenshot ???
In the texture panel I only see option to add brush textures

To add a texture to a material press the dot and select type of texture or use the node editor to add a texture node

Yeah screen shot would have helped.
Screen shot of what I mean: (how to I get it to change to object?) Thanks

That’s because that texture is assigned to the world material node.

in your node editor, you’ll have two icons grouped, a box and a world. Choose the box, to see the material and the textures there are.

This is how my node editor looks (I already have the box selected)

Add -> Texture -> Image Texture

this means that your ‘tablet_screen’ material doesn’t have any texture. go into ‘Add’ in the menu, and in ‘Texture’, add a ‘Image Texture’ node.

and of course, connect the color of the texture to the color of the diffuse. :wink:

That is the part of Cycles that is inconsistent with the UI as far as matching Internal - you need to add a texture node first in the Shader tab before you can access that Texture in the Texture tab. If a user were to never touch the nodes, they would need to be able to expect like in Internal where you can add a texture from the Texture tab that would be added to the active shader. Maybe later we might figure out the best way though.

Ahhhh, I didnt realize that I need a texture node added first in the editor.
Thanks all

You can add the texture withou going to the node editor…

Richard Marklew showed exactly that process in #2.

Im still a little confused :confused:
Im looking for the option to stop the image from repeating (clip / repeat), but it doesnt show now.
Thanks

it’s in vector. It’s ‘Default’ so it will use generated coordinates. you can change this by adding some coordinate system to the ‘vector’ socket.

You can use for instance the ‘Mapping’ node and the ‘Texture Coordinates’, or just the 'Texture Coordinates, to change and transform your coordinates.