textures and frame rate

(agentb1u3) #1

im working on a slow computer so when i apply textures to even the simplest of objects it seems to reduce my frame rate. so id like to know if a diffrent file format for my textures help at all? right now im using fairly small .jpgs any sugestions

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #2

.TGA is the native format for blender. Jpegs and other formats require the Zlib library to be loaded. This may speed things up for you.

If you are still having problems you might want to give Crystal Space a try.
http://b2cs.delcorp.org/index.php/ArtistInstall

the old quake 3 engine is nice to older computers, and now is free for you to use:

quake 3 is not the easiest to develop with.

Saurbraten is nice to older computers too:
http://www.sauerbraten.org/
lots of fun! make your maps in real time with your friends online. Just press a button and you guys are in a deathmatch game :smiley:

have fun.

0 Likes

(agentb1u3) #3

thanx ill have to try it ill tell u if it works. as for the other game engins ill look into crystal space and im in love withe sauerbraten. i personaly think any one who comes to this site just to make a fps they realybdont have the dedication for should try it. but sadly its realy hard to tweek it scince its such a solid engine this ones harder but comes with alot more fredom. oh btw just a side note i saw a picture of a village you were modeling and i think its some of the best modeling ive seen on this engine, its kinda why im still here scince you dont see qaulity work too often.

0 Likes

(agentb1u3) #4

ok i tried the .tga format and it runs a little faster but still lags. is there a better size of texture to use maybey?

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #5

keep them symmetrical ,
and keep them in multiples of 16 is the best

64x64
128x128
256x256
384x384
512x512
768x768
1024x1024

I would not go over 1024…

check all your logic too, it might not just be the texture slowing you down.
I have accidentally duplicated meshes before, and brought my game map to a screaming halt.
smaller the better, but you might loose some visual quality

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #6

BTW,

on the top menubar of blender click on :
Game > show frame rate and profile

then run your game… watch the numbers, textures fall under the rasterizer value if I am not mistaken.

0 Likes

(Mico27) #7

Mmph said:
keep them symmetrical ,
and keep them in multiples of 16 is the best

64x64
128x128
256x256
384x384
512x512
768x768
1024x1024

I would not go over 1024…

Thanks Mmph for that usefull information!

0 Likes

(PlantPerson) #8

Note that .tgas tend to be bigger than .jpgs though.

0 Likes

(Mico27) #9

yeah that why I tend to use jpg when there’s no alpha

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #10

You loose color, and get banding with Jpegs compression.
Not too bad for some cases, but really sucks in others.
Jpegs totally will ruin Normal maps and heightmaps too.
PNG is not too bad if you insist on compressing things.

I had to quit a quake 3 mod team because of this years ago.
They wanted to take my nice hand painted textures, and make them into Jpegs to squeeze out a few less FPS.
It looked so bad I had to retract all my work and leave.
It only gained them something like 3 fps too, yet they insisted smaller is better.

Well, that is what happens when a programmer is in charge of the art department, rather than an artist.

I wish we could use DXT with the game engine, that compression is not too bad.

If you guys decide to use Jpegs, be sure to save your originals in TGA, PNG or PSD format so you can recover later on if you change your mind.
Even with 0 compression Jpegs will dork the color down the pooper.

What some game companies will do is have totally ruined textures that are compressed and resized for lower end machines to get rid of a few FPS.
Then they also leave the originals for people with nice new graphics cards, so they can really get a good experience, The ones the artists intended.

this would not be too hard to do in blender, just have some sort of configure program, that switches the texture folder between small medium and original textures. (you could not do this with a packaged file though)

anyways, have fun… :smiley:

0 Likes

(Mico27) #11

wow Mmph! thks for all those tips, I knew jpg were good for fps but I didnt knew they were bad graphicaly (srry I dont even know if that is a word (forgive me Im french :P))
Maybe I shall put all my texture in TGA…

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #12

Maybe I shall put all my texture in TGA…

yea, TGA is cool, if the filesize is too big, try .PNG.

Some things Jpegs are still nice for too, just be aware that it can lead to artifacts, banding, and color loss.

I guess I should post some examples of what I am talking about.

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #13

here is an example of a compressed jpeg VS a .PNG.

http://files-upload.com/files/511968/Gradient.zip
(please excuse my file hosting, they totaly suck, I need to find a new one tonight)

as you can see the color loss creates giant pixelated artifacts.

This is a pretty extreme example. but you guys can see what I am talking about.

PNG wins the beauty contest
Jpeg wins the file size contest.

With fine details from photo’s you can get alll kinds of odd noise, be sure to look close before you decide on one or the other.
If you are doing anything first person your textures appearance are very important.

Some side scrolling game where the object is really small, the texture really dose not matter as much.
Same with things that are in the distance, that the player/camera dose not ever get close to.

anyways, hope that helps…
I am off to find a new free filehost, Savefile.com requires a membership now :frowning:

0 Likes

(S_Cross) #14

That would be cool! :evilgrin:

It’s known by most game dev’s that jpegs are bad about color loss and another thing ( I forgot the terminology), but I personally haven’t noticed any difference (in the game engine). I suppose if you were to change your existing jpeg to a tga, it would still look almost like the orginal jpeg.

0 Likes

(Mmph!) #15

Once they are Jpeg they are ruined, no need to turn them into anything at that point.

0 Likes

(S_Cross) #16

Yeap, I tried that after I posted. You are correct, they are ruined.

Anyway, I see your point about the gradient examples. Now, I have to try out a few things. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

(blendenzo) #17

That’s an excellent tip, Mmph!. I’ll keep it in mind for my future projects. Many thanks to you.

Another excellent tip, but leave out the 384x384 and the 768x768 when using Blender. Ashsid showed me the code a while back, and the Blender Game Engine only supports graphics scaled in powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, 64, 128, 256, 512, 1024 etc…). Everything else gets scaled in memory, leading to varied levels of performance loss, depending on your hardware.

Edit: BTW, the best I can read the code, rectangular textures are safe as long as each dimension is a power of 2 (like 256x64 or something). It doesn’t appear that there would be any noticeable performance loss, since Blender leaves the file as is as long as both dimensions are some power of 2.

0 Likes