Textures don't appear on object

Hi!
I’ve got a problem that was already described in a couple of threads. I think I followed all steps for solution, yet the problem persists. I’m very new at Blender so I might miss something.
The model imported from OBJ has no texture on it in Object mode (neither in Blender Render nor in Cycles) but the texture is visible in render (Cycles).
My settings are:
Shading method: Texture
Maximum Draw Type for object: Textured
I also did what some folks advised: selected all faces in Edit Mode and loaded texture map to UV Editor. UV layout is perfect.

I attach an archive with original OBJ file, texture map in TGA (original) and JPG (tried with converted map as well but no success) and .blend imported model.

I’d be grateful someone could tell me what I’m doing wrong.

I’m using Blender 2.79b.

You had no light in your scene and for the internal renderer you need a different material than for cycles. I attached prefixes to the material names. Anyway can i ask why you don’t use the latest version.dudex1.zip (2.7 MB)

The texture still doesn’t show up neither in viewport nor in render nor in material Perview.

Did you save the file in Blender 2.8? Maybe there’s a compatibility issue.

I don’t use the latest version because my PC’s processor is too old generation and it won’t run the newest Blender :frowning:

Sorry my fault , i forgot to set the materials to fake user :frowning:
dudex2.zip (2.7 MB)

Thank you!
So using nodes is the simplest (or only) solution?
I still haven’t figured out well how they work. Looks like I have to learn soon.

Yes cycles without nodes is senseless. And on the other side internal render nodes are very messy you should forget that, it is to old for that.

Fine, now I know something about nodes but I don’t understand why you used Principled BSDF instead of Diffuse BSDF.
Still I can see the texture in render but in Object Mode the whole guy is pitch black :frowning:

This is the standard shader with more options. It is not slower than diffuse if you do not set anything else there.
Are you in the “render view”. I use version 2.79.7, everything works.

It should be slower, and testing it as an override material it was. 46 seconds for vanilla Diffuse only and 52 seconds for vanilla Principled - I did expect it to be more. Principled also does glossy by default, so it makes sense to me that it is slower. Diffuse only tends to be brighter overall, and especially in corners where diffuse provide a uniform spread of the light bounce. Enabling caustics to bring back the lost energy from glossy bounces, it becomes as bright as diffuse only, possibly even brighter - this is probably a result of Principled not conserving energy correctly.

At this point, I’d say it’s an artistic choice. At specular roughness 0.5 and above, it hardly matters visually if you show diffuse only or “fresnel is everywhere”. Which is technically true, but all the other stuff we tend to ignore has to be there as well for it to really matter. The only point where you don’t want to use Principled is where you want the Oren-Nayar characteristic of Diffuse shader (Diffuse roughness > 0). Or in some cases where you use Velvet shader, because it has it’s own very special kind of “specular”.

Diffuse vs Principled - doesn’t matter that much in my view. However, learning to use Diffuse is of great importance, because you may want to mix it in with shader types Principled doesn’t have, like Translucency. And fresnel mixing manually you need to make sure things looks correct (or correct for it) from both sides as fresnel is sensitive to normal (invert IOR for backfacing faces). Also note that fresnel doesn’t lower it’s output based on roughness. You need to build yourself a PBR version to do that. And even that won’t have the same response as the Principled one (at least not mine).

1 Like