*Textures fixed * Third person template 2.0 - Advanced

Oh sorry, I didn’t answer before, but I see the picture on the left (yeah it’s kind of late, but I thought you should know)
Anyways, the saving script, sorry to say, I haven’t even started, but I will this weekend. The teachers at my school like to give out homework just to make you do un-necessary work… And I have many people that I need to help out on some of their projects, (not here, but there is an Online Game called Postmoderna for Entropia) I’m helping on it and a bunch of other people outside here (friends, partners) are depending on for a lot of things. Not to mention I need to work on my own project. I failed twice on 2 projects, and hopefully I won’t stop this time. So I’ll do my best to get back to your script, everybody like a week ago just dropped like a bunch on work on me. :slight_smile:

Hey, Cray, just so you know, I see the left picture.

Anyways, I’m sorry to say that I haven’t even started to work on the script yet, but I will this weekend if I have time. I have a lot going on outside of blender (Homework, family, friends) people are depending on to finish work, (Other Projects, I’m helping out on an Online Game called Postmoderna, just with the modeling) and friends and game parents need to me do some other work. So, as soon as I have time I’ll get back to your script, for just a week ago, people dropped like a pile or work on me. It’s weird because it all happened at the same time. Don’t worry, I’ll finish the script :slight_smile:

I know some more things that can be added:

• keys to open locked doors
  • Wall jumping
  • super-jump (jump when crouched will give you an extra jump boost)
  • lock-system
  • basic inventory for items
  • Perform actions with an action key (open doors, talk, pull lever, push boxes)
  • A little village test. When you enter a house, you will get an overlay scene of you walking in the interior. If you leave the house, the state of the outside world will be the same.

Minifig
Thank you :slight_smile:

Funky
I hope you will learn some things from it.
But you know, I am quite new here and never released any FPS template :wink:

Yournamehere
Aaaaah, I was sure that I had made a lot of english mistakes (!).
That would be helpful if someone could contact me by email and help me correct those mistakes (on the template page, don’t take time for the other pages).
I don’t know what to do with modified/modificated because Archive3d (click on the image for download) use the same terms of use.

What of vine-climbing and ladder-climbing
I had started but I have moved to something else (you can see this in the level 2 intro picture) and forgot to finish.
That would be really easy for someone to tweak the hang state and make a ‘ladder climbing’ state for his own game. Actually it’s good that it’s not done : it’s a good homework for those who want to learn from the template.
So if you need it and do it by yourself, I am pretty sure that you will learn a lot on how to make improvements for your games (education -> freedom!).

Submit your levels anytime :slight_smile:

I would certainly rank this up there with Social’s FPS template as top most useful (or simply coolest) blender resources.
Social’s template has helped a lot of people (including myself), I wish my template will go the same way But it was made from an experienced Blender user and I am far from that level, so it may be felt if you look at my template in detail.
However, I have spent a lot of time so I believe I could make it a bit interesting.
Thanks for the words.

Link
If you need to work on your own project, just tell me and I will work on the script myself. There is no problem with that :slight_smile:
Take your time, there is nothing important here more than your “real” life.

Doggie
Yes, that would be good.
But 80% of your suggestions can be done without any extra understanding of states than displayed and explained in the template. For now, until the next release, I believe that users already have enough resources to learn and do by themselves.
I want to make life easy for artists, but I believe it doesn’t take more than 5min to add :

• a crounch function (if key_crounch is pressed then crounch + msg to armature “crounch”, change ‘crounch’ property to ‘True’)
  • a super jump function (if ‘crounch’ property ==True and key_jump is pressed then super jump state + msg to armature “super jump”)
  • wall jumping (if not on the ground and ray_walljump==True (checking walljump property on the wall), then add_jump_state + msg to Armature “jump”)
  • keys to open door (if player’s “key” property == door’s “key” property, then open the door)
  • Perform actions with an action key (see above)

etc…

But I appreciate your suggestions and I agree that it would be really helpful.
95% of your suggestions are already on my todo list.
Thank you :slight_smile:

Aaaaah, I was sure that I had made a lot of english mistakes (!).
That would be helpful if someone could contact me by email and help me correct those mistakes (on the template page, don’t take time for the other pages).
I don’t know what to do with modified/modificated because Archive3d (click on the image for download) use the same terms of use.

I’ll certainly do that for you when I get the chance today. Modificate is not a real word, go ahead and change it to modified when you have the chance.

I had started but I have moved to something else (you can see this in the level 2 intro picture) and forgot to finish.
That would be really easy for someone to tweak the hang state and make a ‘ladder climbing’ state for his own game. Actually it’s good that it’s not done : it’s a good homework for those who want to learn from the template.
So if you need it and do it by yourself, I am pretty sure that you will learn a lot on how to make improvements for your games (education -> freedom!).

Very good point. I’ll see if I can do that.

Social’s template has helped a lot of people (including myself), I wish my template will go the same way But it was made from an experienced Blender user and I am far from that level, so it may be felt if you look at my template in detail.
However, I have spent a lot of time so I believe I could make it a bit interesting.
Thanks for the words.

Yours should certainly be helpful also.

peace,
-nick

Modificate is not a real word
Perhaps not, but it has loads of character. :wink: I kind of like it. Legal jargon could use some of that sometimes. Hehe.

I have not had a chance to download this yet, but I looks pretty cool. I think that you have included some very important elements. However, I feel like I have to voice an opinion, not to you, Cray, but to other people. As cool as it is to find a template like this, it maynot be the best solution. When a template us made, especially a detailed and sophisticated I e like this, we face a danger of relying on it and not using as much original material as we might. At some point all games would become a sort of unigame. Besides, when you figure out these kind of things yourself, you can end up with very interesting and innovative solutions. That being said, I have a few questions, mainly around the archecture of the code. If you, Cray, would email me at [email protected] that would be splendid. Also, if anyone else has questions or answers they can email me.

Sporatically, ElGree

I only use these templates for learning things like servo or using states. All the other stuff I use is originally created by me. BTW, I don’t think there are that many 2D-shooters at this forum. :no:

Hi,

I was waiting for the next release to update this thread.
But I can already say that I have made a lot of improvements on the template (double jump option, gliding, gun shooting/inventory, wall run coming soon, etc…).
There are still some things to fix but it’s going well.
I will release an updated version soon, to share some progress before next official release.

Also, we are working with the Twilight 22 team members to improve it faster.
I spend a lot of my spare time on it, to provide the community a good tool for production/prototyping/learning purposes. It’s getting professional, you may like it.

yournamehere
thank you :wink:

elgreeteeto

At some point all games would become a sort of unigame.
I agree and this template will just be a production tool like… a pencil.
(I know that it was your point, I just discuss more for beginners).
You can do whatever you want with it if you are an artist, game designer, whatever. Platform game, adventure game, shooter… and I’m just talking about a “genre”. Games “genre” have been the same for the last 25 years, there are maybe not more than 10 (platformers, shoot’em up, rpg, beat’em all, etc…) but all good games are different. At least, they bring something new.
This is where artists can bring diversity, identity and creativity.

What you say is also true because this template is a resource and was made for educational purposes too.

To finish, being creative and producing original work applies to life, not only to that template.

That being said, I have a few questions, mainly around the archecture of the code. If you, Cray, would email me, that would be splendid.
Should I email you first, in order to ask you what you want to ask me? :slight_smile:

Doggie_B
If you produce or learn anything from that template, then it’s good.
And you don’t even have to wonder if there are many 2dshooters on the forum or not.
I don’t play fps much, I know that beginners often want to make one and sometimes people think it’s boring : I don’t have anything against fps and I would love to see a creative work done on it.
I don’t care the genre, I care for creativity and diversity.

I am very exited to here that there is another update soon!
I was wondering about the double jumping… Is it a delay, or a once pressed property that triggers the ability to jump again? (or something else?)

I use a property, it’s more convenient for the gliding state and other things (double jump + glide allowed, glide + double jump not allowed).

Sounds cool!
I can hardly wait to play.:yes:

Hey Cray I’ve been trying to put a overlay hud in your template (I’m using the advanced one, pretty good I must say!) I changed some stuff like putting some more effects on your characters material and putting some normal maps. anyway I was wondering how I can edit your python script as they cannot be edited. I kinda need to edit it so I can have access to the money count for the HUD.the Huds also contains progressive typing chatbox and I also made an “Init” python script and a Save/load script.

edit: nvm I just found where you were hiding your scripts :stuck_out_tongue:

Edit2: I found a bug with the money, when I pick up one, all of the money disapear :S
I’m using blender 2.49 RC1

Edit(2mins later) ok I found the problem in your code, you call the object by hitobject but then you take its name and retake it from objlist?! :S so I just did the obvious:
you did :

#--------[ Money collision test ]-------------------------------------
if money_test.isPositive():

# get last object hit by the collision sensor
    money_obj = money_test.getHitObject()

# get the name of this object
    money_obj_name = money_obj.getName()

# get the list of the objects in the current scene
    objList = GameLogic.getCurrentScene().getObjectList()

# select the hit object
    touched_coin = objList[money_obj_name]

# add his property "money" to the character's "money_count" property
    GameLogic.money = own.money_count = own.money_count + touched_coin.money

# End hit object
    touched_coin.endObject()    

I changed it to:

#--------[ Money collision test ]-------------------------------------
if money_test.isPositive():

# get last object hit by the collision sensor
    touched_coin  = money_test.getHitObject()

# add his property "money" to the character's "money_count" property
    GameLogic.money = own.money_count = own.money_count + touched_coin.money

# End hit object
    touched_coin.endObject()    

Now it works :slight_smile:

Very nice template tnx, but some bugs in the beginner version:

• After you swim and get to land the screen stays blue.
  • Half of the character can enter the cube on the bottom of the swiming pool :slight_smile:

Mico
Thank you for providing a solution :slight_smile:
I am waiting for the official 2.49 release to see what is broken.
There might be some problems with “is.Positive()” and (many?) other things.
I will update, then.

yavorh
I will check the beginner version.
This might be a matter of moving the “water” object (ghost) to the good location.
Same for the blue screen.
I think that I forgot to replace the object from the “old” version of the template with the new one.

could health also be added ?
perhaps enemies who come near you attack, and with each hit you lose some life/health.
with health pickups you restore that.

How about it ? it would add some more gameplay to the game.
thanks

Yes.
I had released a .blend with it, you can already learn from that : link
You can attack others, just change it so you can be touched too. Also, the money script in the current version of the template can be used for health or other things (just put a negative property).
I will add it to the template, in the future, but it’s really easy to add until then.

it would add some more gameplay to the game.

Yes, but this is not a game :slight_smile: I provide the template, you create games.

Please, all, don’t forget to learn from the template.

Hi cray! I had fun adding new features to your game template :slight_smile:
http://www.2shared.com/file/5511015/c5b00a28/Third_pers_template_2_0_adv.html

I added talking NPCs (talking cubes XD), very easy to add/edit what you want for each specific NPC you want them to say. Made an Init script in the main character lib, added a hud that shows money and the text.
the init file contain the NPC’s text database and the save/load file functions.
ho ya also, press “F” to talk, hold “F” to speed up the text.

PS. I putted the overlay hud by default in the library blend. but if your delete the overlay scene and want ot add it again or a new one just append the entire SCENE and not the GROUP of the hud.

PSS I putted some better material to your character:o Also you forgot to vertex parent the spot light to your character, I also fixed this.

PSSS have pity for my bad grammar >_<;;

hi Mico,

I don’t have much time to talk now but thank you for the work done!
NPC, chat, overlay hud, those are great additions.

About the textures, you forgot to make the path relative (… extures\something.png) but it can be fixed easily. But it doesn’t look good on my pc though, maybe because my ATI doesn’t support GLSL well.

I will see how we can add it to the current version of the template (in development) because some parts are completely different now. I will contact you by email when I know more.

http://www.vimeo.com/4367159

:slight_smile: