Textures in 3D view not updating

The only workable way that I’ve found, of positioning decals, and other little texture details, is through trial and error. Bake texture, tweak a little, bake again, adjust, etc, until it’s where I want it. I’m running into an annoying problem with this, and texture baking in general, though. When baking textures, I have the 3D view in ‘textured’ view so I can see the results. But sometimes, the results just… don’t apply.

After a bake, the new texture shows in the UV/image editor window, but the model in the 3D view doesn’t update. It’s in textured view, and it just continues showing the old texture form the previous bake. What’s especially frustrating, is that this seems random. It happens for no discernible reason, and I have to quit and restart blender to make the 3d view start updating again. I’m using blender v2.47 atm, in case it’s relevant. Any advice as to what might be wrong?

What happens when you tab in and out of edit mode in the 3d view? Does it update then? Have you got the image mapped to uv in the material mapto panel? If you do, you can keep your F6 button window open to that texture image and hit ‘reload’ there to force the reload of the texture.

edit: there is a little lock icon on the far right of the uv image editor, and when you hover over it the tool tip pops up saying it will update other windows in real time. Maybe try that and see what happens.

Nothing happens

Have you got the image mapped to uv in the material mapto panel? If you do, you can keep your F6 button window open to that texture image and hit ‘reload’ there to force the reload of the texture.

Yes, I work with pre-mapped shapes. I didn’t think to try reloading like this though. I will the next time it happens. As I have no idea what causes it, I can’t force it to happen, to test.

edit: there is a little lock icon on the far right of the uv image editor, and when you hover over it the tool tip pops up saying it will update other windows in real time. Maybe try that and see what happens.

I had a eureka moment when I notices this button, too. But it has no effect. When this occurs, updating fails regardless of whether this button is depressed or not.