Textures in games

These may seem like silly questions but I can’t find the answer. Obviously so make a game with many objects run smoothly you create low poly models, but how do textures affect games?
Does the amount of colours in a texture slow it down? If so to combat this could I make a texture then make it a 256 colour image or something similar? Is it the amount of textures used that slows down a game? Is it preferred to used procedural or UV textures or does it not make a difference?
An answer to any of these questions, or just more general information is greatly welcome and appreciated. Cheers :slight_smile:

These may seem like silly questions but I can’t find the answer. Obviously so make a game with many objects run smoothly you create low poly models, but how do textures affect games?
Textures will use up graphic card memory, typical texture sizes are 512512, in newer games even 10241024.

Does the amount of colours in a texture slow it down? If so to combat this could I make a texture then make it a 256 colour image or something similar?
Todays hardware will handle 8 bit (even higher) just fine. You can at the expense of quality, reduce the texture size though. All commercial games also heavily use texture compression, which reduces file size and loading times of textures.

Is it the amount of textures used that slows down a game?
Yes more textures = more video memory used. But not only textures affect performance, things as models, animation, physics will also slow down your game.

Is it preferred to used procedural or UV textures or does it not make a difference?
In games everything is UV mapped. I dont believe blender game engine supports produceral textures.

Excellent info, thanks very much :slight_smile: