textures in the 3dwindow

Am I just not figuring it out, or is there no way to get a real-time preview in the 3dwindow of an object with a texture assigned to its material? The texture will show up mixed with the material color at each vertex so that if subdivided the 3dwindow approaches the render, but what about just texturing it?

I know you can get textures to show up ok in the potato view when assigned via the uv texture editor, but that seems like a pretty kludgy way of doing it.

Can anyone confirm or deny?

Thanks,
newbie finding blender’s texturing philosophy…weird

I am pretty sure potato mode is your singular option.

there is no way to get a good preview

control+z (shaded mode?) is the closest you will get. It is even worse than you suggest because the lighting is not updated every frame. (I consider this a bug personally)

besides, there is no easy way to put procedural texures on objects using opengl, and do all of the layering blender does, and have it look exactly the same as the blender renderer.
(I wonder what blender will do when opengl 2 becomes popular…)

control+z (shaded mode?) is the closest you will get. It is even worse than you suggest because the lighting is not updated every frame. (I consider this a bug personally)

I’ll agree with you there. It was mainly the lack of updates that confused me for so long about what affected what.

besides, there is no easy way to put procedural texures on objects using opengl, and do all of the layering blender does, and have it look exactly the same as the blender renderer.
(I wonder what blender will do when opengl 2 becomes popular…)

I think recent extensions will let you do pretty much anything that blender’s scanline renderer does in realtime, if you have an expensive enough card… :slight_smile: (Maybe excepting radiosity…)

Seems kinda strange that things are the way they are. Granted that when it was first written the hw support wasn’t there to do everything the renderer could, but surely in a lot of cases just adding some texture would have been a useful approximation. I’m tempted to hack something in myself, but I know I’ll never get around to it…

I’ve had the chance to use 3DMax 5 and this has texture display in the 3D window, as it will look in a render. All be it not anti-aliased.

I think from memory, (it’s been a while since I used it) Lightwave does the same thing.

Shouldn’t be long before it’s supported in Blender I’m hoping. I have to render constantly with Blender when texturing due to the lack of this function when not using UVs.

Sonix.

You may be right about the card. It seems like I get a better pic in potato made w my new card (ASUS) than I did w/ my old one. (and I do mean old!)