Textures not displaying in 3D View

Hi!

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to display textures in the 3D View?

I’m currently trying to follow along with a Gnomon Workshop video tutorial on head modeling for games. The tutorial is written for Maya (which I’m already familiar with), but I’m actually trying to use it as an exercise to help me become more familiar with Blender.

The technique used in the tutorial for setting up the orthographic views uses two plane primatives, with bitmap images assigned to them. The problem I’m having is that Blender won’t display these images in the 3D View (even with draw type set to textured), so I can’t see anything without rendering. I’m guessing this probably isn’t the usual way of setting up orthographic views in Blender, but I’d like to try and stick with it if possible, just to make sure I’m working with the same scale used in the tutorial.

Cheers!

Shift + P will give you a Preview window.
Here is more on the subject:
http://www.blender.org/development/release-logs/blender-242/render-pipeline/

Assuming you just made a new material with your texture, there are a couple of things you can do here.

Firstly, you can go to Game in the top bar and turn on Blender GLSL Materials. You’ll also want to set your texture to Shadeless… that said, it’s rather hard to model something with this shading.

Blender has a pretty cool Background Image function, though, under View in the 3D window. It has a restriction in that you’ll have to map all your orthos to one image in Photoshop or GIMP, but it’s entirely possible to use it as a 3-in-1 orthographic and is - in my opinion - superior to Maya’s outdated system, because Blender’s disappears when you go into 3D, doesn’t get in the way and you can easily change the opacity whenever you want.

Thanks for the replies!

I figured out how to set up the orthographic planes the way I needed them using the Background Image funtion and it works great.