Textures...

I did a file clean just barely and have been looking through my game textures and assets… then I look on how much I have of each…

So i have right now about 4 gigs of textures…When is it a good time to stop collecting them… :wink:

But really how much space do you guys have with your textures? I’m just curious.

For the most part, I make my own textures as I need to and as I go. But that’s only because I try to focus on toon artstyles and I’m shit-scared of stepping on copyright toes. You never know who’s gonna pull a “this is mine and you stole it” on a texture you nabbed from Google.

Are you referring to a general “hunt and collect” - means you are looking for texture that you might use later?
Or are you referring on textures you think you need for a specific project?
Or are you referring on textures you need to deliver with your game?

I just thought that having 4 gigs of textures in my library that I know are CC0 textures or CGtextures was a little…much… But its mostly hunt and collect…

So it is a large treasure to feed your future projects?

There is nothing wrong with that. Just make sure you apply them only when you need them. Typically no game will need all of your textures.

Be aware … most-likely you will get and create new textures that fit the specific game. This library surely will help you to get them faster.

This is an artists thing. You collect some resources that you might use later on your art. Even famous painters needed to collect lots and lots of materials for colors. Finally yo can only use what you already have.

I have a few favorite textures I reuse when planning out a project. Just stuff to act as a temporary texture while I’m still blocking in gameplay etc…

Then I make my own textures sometimes using those others as a kind of brush.

These days I’m getting more in to making my own textures using baked normals from geometry rather than painted from textures, but I still prefer the projection painting technique for characters.

The problem with having a lot of pre-made textures is how can you remember them all? How to know the right texture without browsing through hundreds of files each time you want to texture something…

I have attempted a small project, and I used images from the Bing image search, and may be a few times of Google. I have also used the film DVD to screenshot new images to replace one I had originally downloaded from a search engine.

I even tried to apply for a grant licence to use copyright images, but I decided to forget it.

I’m not planning to make a dime out of anything I have done. And besides, I couldn’t make a project without actual images from a film.

I have been collecting/creating textures for just over 2 years now, and i have amassed a whopping 7 GB of texture maps!

My only advice would be to ensure that you keep your texture library properly organised and well segregated. I spent nearly an entire week cleaning up the mess that was my texture library! things can really mount up without expecting.

In general, i would say it is much better to have textures ready for any situation, as it can save huge amounts of time on future projects if you have all/most of the textures you’re gonna need stored away and ready to go :slight_smile:

And if you’re worried about them taking up loads of space, you could always get a removable drive to store your texture library onto :slight_smile:

@Monster
Ya thats a good Idea to have them for thoughts and maybe if it fits.
@Smoking
You make your textures… Wow…Have to learn that some time :slight_smile:
@Jamie B
7 gigs… thats a lot of textures… Dont worry I organize my textures as soon as I get them… But glad to see that Im not the only one that has mass amounts of textures. XD

@quickmind - Then in my eyes, theres no such thing as too many textures. Unless you have loads of bad quality ones!! Make sure your quality control is strict! lol XD

I just checked my texture folder, and its actually at 10 gigs now, couldnt believe its gone up that much since i checked a few months ago!

:spin::spin::spin:

Attachments

Well then…wait…wait… Oh… Most of my textures were Zipped… i had them compressed for space… Oh boy this is going to be fun to see how big this gets XD

The more the better but you need to really organize them
if you cannot think of good categories to organize them try looking at sites like

I find mine most useful when organized and easily unused and forgotten if not

@quickmind Hahaha, you are probably gonna be looking at about 6GB to 9GB depending on how compressed your folders actually are. All mine are in there original format, and a lot of this space comes from my collection of HDR Maps. most of them are at leat 8k resolution or higher, making for big files!

Well 5.7 gigs… not to bad… :slight_smile:

If you’re anything like me, it’ll soon mount up!

Texture foraging is too addictive! lol :wink:

My texture library is the grand total of … 33 megs. Yeah.

The part of it I use the most? 19 greyscale images in a folder called ‘Noise.’ It contains some nice and noisy images. Solid noise, some lightning-like stuff, Pixel noise and a few more. The ones I use most are solid noise, merge noise* and pixel noise. Swirls are great for foliage/roots, and lightning is great for electricity effects. Most of these textures were made in gimp over about 2 hours and are 512x512.

When you combine these simple noise textures with a shape, say:

You can create good looking textures with nearly zero effort. It has become a little obsession of mine, using noise and shapes to create detailed textures in screen-space at runtime.
For example, using the above tile, use it as a heightmap, then map it through a colour ramp to give a different colour between grout and the tile. Then layer on the ‘merge noise.jpg’ texture scaled to take up about 10 tiles to add fine details. Finally, add big details (so you can’t see the repetitiion) using ‘pixel noise light.jpg’ mapped 1-pixel per tile (ie scale of 512).
If each tile is 10cm square, the pixel noise means you have something like a 50m area non-repeating, and the merge noise detail means you can zoom in to several centimeters away and it still looks good.
Not bad for something that took 10 minutes to make the image textures and another 10 minutes to put into blender.

And that covers everything except for metals, stone cliffs and ‘hero’ peices (eg the player).
(I am convinced you should be able to do stone cliffs with this technique but haven’t managed yet).

• merge noise is the result of doing a grain-merge on a solid noise with a blurred version of itself. It’s pretty much the derivative (calculus derivative) of solid noise.

Attachments

if you want drive space used
2+ TERABITS!!!
yes a T

but i also work with some VERY big image data sets that can be over 25 Gig for ONE image

and will be adding a new 5 TB drive soon

for working just with the Cassini orbiter imaging data i have 22 GIG’s of spacecraft and planet and moon location data ( the NAIF spice kernels)

What projects are you tasked with then?

currently i am working on a 256 pixel per degree ( 92,160 X 46,080 pixel ) full planet map of the planet Mercury

– from the Messenger Spacecraft imaging data

the low resolution 64 ppd 32 bit float red,green,blue COLOR layer is 1.5 gig’s all by it self

…wow… (Mind blown)