Texturing a head

HI! To make a long story short, I’m a sculptor and I have no idea how to texture and shade this head. I’ve looked at textures online but currently I can’t afford them, so I’m asking is there some way to texture this without having to buy a texture pack or should I start saving up some money. If you can give me some advice or point me to tutorials,lessons,books etc. It would be fantastic and you are the bomb for doing that, keep up the good work!
Thanks!

In Cycles, I use this basic shader tree with self-generated and/or painted texture maps, which I produced in Photoshop ($$$$$$) or more lately in Gimp (which is FREE!!!). Below the linked post are examples of the image textures I use. These kinds of easily-made textures can get you started in learning the basic principles, and if you need greater “photorealism,” you can look for alternatives online but they are likely not free.

To begin with you need to UV-map the head, which means creating seams and unwrapping the head mesh to create a set of UVs that map the images to your head’s surface. Think of slicing it into pieces that can be pressed flat with the least distortion, and this can help you avoid texture stretching once an image is applied. If all of this Greek to you, search out UV mapping, it’s a time-honored skill in 3D work, and you will find a few thousand tutorials, most likely. Hell, I even wrote one myself WAY back in the day (jeez, Louise, does that ever date me. Even my gray hair’s got gray hair now!)

After unwrapping, you can paint, paint, paint, even directly on the model with Texture Painting. The resulting images can be mapped to various rendering effects such as Diffuse, Glossy, Transparent, SSS, and displacement for surface relief effects. These are Cycles options (recommended) but there are comparable effects in the Blender Internal (BI) renderer.

Alternately, for finer details, and probably appealing to you as a sculptor, make a copy of your head mesh, apply a Multi-Resolution (Mulit-rez) modifier and start Sculpting in wrinkles, creases, etc., at higher & higher detail levels, then use that to create a Normal Map to portray these details on a lower-resolution mesh without heavy rendering time penalties. Making Normal maps can be kind of technical so once again, search out the term to learn the ins & outs. The type you want is likely a Tangent Space Normal Map (there are various flavors for various uses).

Then, of course, learn about Blender’s Particle Hair. A WHOLE different subject!

Good luck!

PS. Nice sculpt, a lot of hangdog personality in there already :smiley:

Thanks! I appreciate the help and the feedback.