Texturing a two-parted cylinder with one texture map

Hey there,

I’ve got this two-parted cylinder here. In blender it is two objects, but they belong together in terms of texture. I’d like to texture these two objects in a way where the upper part, object one, receives the upper portion of the texture. And the lower part, object 2, receives the lower section of the texture map.
I am modeling a cylinder which in reality has a kind of sticker applied to it, then the top is cut of and the sticker remains half on the upper, half on the lower part.

So far I have experimented with modifying the texture space, which worked quite well, but object two had the texture flipped the wrong way, and as I am using one material for both objects, I was unable to flip the texture just on one of them. Sadly, texture space has “move/grab” and “scale” but no “rotate”…!

Then, I tried using an Empty as target for the texture, which worked nearly as good. I am still not yet finished with tweaking but it seems this approach feels far more inexact and might not turn out as I would like to.

What would you suggest to do? I am looking for an elegant way to do texturing on these two objects (as if they were one), so I would be able to easily interchange texture maps for various renders. I would not like to fuzz around with two materials because of the flip-problem… (please excuse the silly mouse-drawn illustration…)

Attachments

Well. If its an image texture, you can just as easily map it with uv’s. If you map your texture to uv, it’ll map for the uv on both objects. I assume you know about uv unwrapping all ready. But, just in case: go into edit mode, select all your vertices, and hit u. You’ll see a bunch of unwrap methods. If you want a quick unwrap just click the first one. Then go into the uv image editor and adjust the mapping. Then do it for the other object. You could also consider projection painting, which may be simpler.

Anyways, I didn’t really understand your question, even though I acted like I did. So, hope that helped?

I think you are right: I should try with UV mapping. I just threw it out of the process very early, because I thought UV was overkill for what I tried to do. But as I see now, how complicated the “easy” methods became, I should give UV a try - might actually be the best solution…

(btw: you are understanding my question quite good…)

You should UV map the cylinders. This should do exactly what you want.

Now finished UV mapping the objects, it turns out that this seems to be the best way - thanks guys!
Although unwrapping was a bit tricky (as my objects are not perfect cylinders)…