texturing an orchid

Hello!

I’ve modeled an orchid, and now the next step is to texture it. I’m not good at texturing so, I need your advice here.
FIrst take a look at what I’ve done so far, and what I’m planning to achive

First picture is what my goal, the second is what I’ve modeled.

What is the best approach to texture a flower ? SSS is a good approach ? or just use the uv …
Do you know a good tutorial(doesn’t matter if is in other software ) about this subject?

Attachments

use UV unwrap
using the first pic
should be easy to do

prolbem is with the lower leaves not shown in first pic
do you have another pic showing these leaves which can then be use to UV map

is this in cycles or blender

salutations

I’m planing to make my own texture in photoshop

you mean a procedural texture
that might be difficult to do it

much easier to take a pic and use it for UV mapping!

and is this in cycles ?

happy blendering

no I mean making the texture in photoshop then porting to uv blender and yes using cycles(this is the challenge )

do your UV map in GIMP and save it
then you can add it for your material in cycles

show us what you get and need more help

happy cycles

It actually isn’t that difficult to do. Well I don’t think it is. First is to find or make a good detailed petal texture. Then locate your view so that the petal is pretty close to the picture and project the uv from view. From there in cycles nodes. First add a mix shader. Then a diffuse and a glossy. Add another mix shader and a translucent shader. Add an image texture shader and plug it into your diffuse and your glossy. Add in a rgb to bw between the image and the glossy. Plug the diffuse and the glossy into the first mix shader. Then plug the first mix shader and the translucent shader into the second mix shader. Plug the second mix shader into the output shader. If you want a bump map…add another image texture with the same image and add an rgb to bw node and a bump node. Plug the rgb to bw into the height part of the bump node. Then the bump node into the displacement of the output node. The strength slider on the bump node allows you to control the bump. I can submit a screen shot of the node tomorrow if you wish. Just pm me. I shut my pc down for the night…good luck and I look forward to seeing this.

Great looking Orchaid, I’ll be following this that is for sure. Need a bit of help with the texturing myself :slight_smile:

Mythink pm me and I’ll see if I can be of assistance to you.

I usually work on this flower Saturday :smiley: (when I have time, but I couldn’t help myself to try this node setup)
I’ve attached a printscreen.

I’m looking to make the edge of the petals more soft/translucent, something like sss …
Please note that the texture I’ve added it’s just for testing the material node.

I will have to play with nodes :smiley:

Thanks again!

Attachments

You can use a black and white image. So there is a gradient between the 2 that would fade from the edge of the petals to the center and then use that as your factor I put for the mix node that has the translucency attached…

https://picasaweb.google.com/102994558757338447962/4Seasons#5839077020606974642

Ok couple things to add to that. Turn up your lighting. And attached is how I use this particulare node setup…you have it close but a few things are switched…and I have a few things differant in mine. You can change the multiply node I have in the displacement strand with a bump or see what results you get with the multiply node. As in mine I have an image texture, same as the color in my setup, ran to a rgb to bw node to a multiply node then into the fac input of the first mix node. What this does is defines via the black and white image what will be glossy and what will be diffuse. This way the entire object is not glossy. Leaves are done the same way. They have a waxy appearence at certain angles and usually between the viens. This acheives this look pretty well. Duplicate this shader and use it the same way for the fake SSS But plug it into the fac of the second mix node. The multiply node allows you to control the strength of the effect. Hope this setup works for you and I look forward to seeing this textured!