Texturing tutorial content suggestions wanted

Hi everyone, sorry about the long break here. I’ve been working the nightshift and not been awake very much. :slight_smile:

The article is coming along nicely, and if anyone wants to take a look at a PDF draft I dumped a while ago, it’s the same link as above. As usual, please don’t mind the layout or the images, because they are only quick drafts too. However, if you have comments on the content or more suggestions, they are very appreciated.

Have fun,

Well, if your link worked it sounds like I would be reading a realy good textbook. (the AdobeAcrobat starts then, but doesn’t open any thing, the webpage just sits there and spins for as long as you let it).

This sounds like Just what I’ve been trying to find; a ‘NOT another paint by numbers’ tutorial that Teaches. I hope I can get my hands on it Soon!

http://www.rusted.se/texart.pdf
Hm, that link works for me… It’s pretty heavy, so let it run for a while. (0.5 MB at least)

I’m glad you like the idea! I try to get in deep with it. :slight_smile: Sound off again if it doesn’t work!

Right on Rustedivin!

It worked, don’t know what my comp was up to but then I rarely do, lol. I’m going to follow this thread closely for any updates.

Thanks again,
1AHDRL

Thank you for sharing your knowlege rustedivan. I just read the last update of your work and I have to say it rocks. You’re going to be a great teacher :slight_smile:

So…did this die then?

Yikes! Not at all, but I’ve been drowning in (non-art :frowning: ) work over the past three months. I’ve been coming back to Blender only during the last week, so your post was well timed. I hope to release some new material for you to look at during the next weekend. Thanks for keeping in touch!

Hi, I’m an architecture student, currently learning to use Blender as far as RENDERING is concerned (that is, I import objects I create with AutoCAD and render them in Blender).

What is really missing so far, I think, is tips on where to find the information about one specific material to tweak the settings correctly and in a realistic way. That is, I don’t have time to “give it a try” forever when tweaking settings. I need something quite scientifical so that I can reproduce a material I have knowledge about (eg. technical sheets)…

thanx for your work, it’s very good, indeed.

Keep it up, really good so far :slight_smile: I’ve learnt loads already.

One extra thing to add could be simple base materials like:-

Glass
Shiny Metal
Aluminium
Plastic
Rubber
Stone

As you go through describing each one it would become apparent how the materials work and give readers a base to work from. Gold, Silver and chrome should be workable from shiny metal etc so people will have a better understanding.

I am eagerly awaiting the next release :slight_smile:

Work just keeps cropping up, but I’m still moving forward when I have the time. I’ve finished the sections on reflectivity and transparency (even though I have a LOT to error-check and verify), which leaves only the texturing section to be done before I can release Part 1.

Thanks for the suggestions, I will do my very best with those pre-made materials. If anyone has materials that they want to share for credit, please tell me. :wink:

Anyway, I expect the texturing section to take quite some time, but there’s a sweet Christmas recess coming up, so with any luck, Part one will be going out as a Christmas present to the community. :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the kind words!

I wish you best of luck and courage.
It is quite an undertaking there.
If anything can be done to alieviate you workload (tutorial-wise) let us know.

Jean

being a little new and with a desire to fly as I am sure we all have I am very curious about how to master materials appart from LSCM mapping techniques.

can you pleeeeease be a good blender teacer and help us with that? terms such as Stucci mean nothign to a newbie!

Also dirt maps and how to use them.

i am sure that I am not the only one here who has come into Blender as their first ever piece of 3D software.

Bespoke

Innocent: I use will. I love your tuts, by the way. :slight_smile:
bespoke: Do you mean that you want help with LSCM, or everything else? I am working on Stucci and the other texture modes, and eventually I’ll get around to more artistical techniques such as dirt mapping. :slight_smile: