Texturing (with shaders)

So I’m starting to finish up the basic modeling of my level and I thought I’d try to texture it. In the final version I hope to use several shaders (that will take multiple textures). Here’s an image of how the level looks right now (placeholder textures):

http://img135.imageshack.us/img135/5898/84098157xn8.th.jpg

Now, the problem is how I should texture the walls/floors/pillars. I could technically just use UV face select and apply a texture to each face. However it seems to mess things up when I apply a shader to it that uses say… a normal map. I assume this is cause I have different textures and try to apply the same normal map to it… however even if I use the same single texture as the normal map it just won’t work.

Is it possible to use the UV face select method and feed it extra textures that will be used as normal/height map? Like how the normal texturing menus work with three channels.

If not I assume my only option is to divide the geometry into independet and smaller pieces (quite annoying with all these small things). The question is then of course… how do I do this (dividing up a large mesh into smaller meshes)?

EDIT: oh, and I did make a search on the forum but I could only find threads about using the UV select method.

Right, so I decided to go with the splitting the level up into smaller parts. Basically what I do is to copy (shift+D) the whole thing. Then I go into edit mode (tab) and delete all the faces that aren’t supposed to be in that “part”.

if anyone got any better suggestions then I’d like to hear them :slight_smile:

Hello
ex: if the columns are not “really linked” ( same vertices) with the whole object, select one vertice of one of them, put the mouse cursor above it, and press L key…
All the column should be selected now, so, press P key to “separate”, make a new independent object.
And so on.
Bye

Thanks! P was the key :slight_smile:

EDIT: here’s how it’s progressed if anyone’s interested:

http://img517.imageshack.us/img517/7981/27731667pw0.th.jpg

nice!

for things like pillars, you might want to try ALT-D to make instances rather than full copies.
this can save some of the rasterizer overhead.

You may want to read this:

You can also use multiple uv maps per each object. But you must be aware which is stacked on top.