"Texturing" with vectors?

Hello all,

I’m trying to do something with the new grease pencil line art tool and I’m having a hard time figuring out how to pull it off. Essentially what I want to do is take a sphere, and draw lines on it to look like a planet. I want the planet to spin, with the vectors on top of it as the terrain.

I know exactly how I would do this with a texture. So I was thinking maybe I could take the planet texture, trace a few lines on top of it, and wrap my vector lines across the sphere mesh, but I have no idea how to accomplish that. I tried the shrink-wrap modifier, but it didn’t work.

Then I thought, maybe I could draw directly on the mesh itself with the grease pencil, but the grease pencil is in 2D, and I’d have to tediously trace every frame. I’m hoping to use the new line art feature and have it done automatically, so Ideally I need a way to draw vectors across the sphere, and have them “attach” to the sphere. Is there a way to do that?

I’ll figure something out eventually, but was hoping some of the brilliant minds here might be able to point me in the right direction on how to pull this off? I appreciate any tips in advance!

Do you mean placing vertices on a sphere? You could use a shrinkwrap modifier with the sphere as target and activate it in edit mode.

You can do this, by changing the grease pencil Stroke Placement from Origin to Surface:

But it sounds like maybe there are a few more steps that you need for a complete solution!

1 Like

I tried that, but the shrink wrap modifier only wrapped it to one half of the sphere. It didn’t wrap all the way around like a texture would.

Oh wow awesome! That looks VERY promising! Time for me to dive into learning the capabilities of grease pencil! Thank you so much! I had no idea you could do that!

1 Like