Texturing without having to retopologise ?

Hi guys ! I am still working on a sculpt of an orc head that I do not plan to animate. I was wondering if there is a way of texture painting something without necessarily having to retopologise the whole thing ? Any guidance will be greatly appreciated !

Use the texture paint mode to make the textures! You will still have to UV unwrap it though. You could always do a smart UV unwrap to make things faster, although smart UV unwrap will make it impossible to use any image editing software like photoshop to texture, because it separates the mesh into countless pieces. Texture paint mode can still get the job done though, so go for it!

Do you think the smart UV unwrap will work ? I only ask because this was sculpted in Sculptris ? So the mesh is extremely dense. I was thinking of using the decimate modifier but I really don’t want to lose the detail if I can help it ! Would you still suggest smart UV unwrap ?

The unwrap will work in any cases, you can even use the Sculptris UVmap if you like. If you’re about to paint it with texture paint, there will be no problem. Just pay atention to the bleeding values, while you’re texturing it.

No smart UVs !!
Make seams and unwrap it.
Just reminding you, ctrl+click selects the shortest path. Right?
It will take just a few minutes to do the work the right way.
More advanced method? Keep fixing any UV stretching by UV sculpt mode/tools.
And…
Nice work. Sculpting!

@michalis didn’t knew that ctrl+click selection!! is that in the 3D viewport or in the UVeditor? I’ve tried it but it doesn’t seems to do anything. :confused:

UOTE=michalis;2740254]No smart UVs !!
Make seams and unwrap it.
Just reminding you, ctrl+click selects the shortest path. Right?
It will take just a few minutes to do the work the right way.
More advanced method? Keep fixing any UV stretching by UV sculpt mode/tools.
And…
Nice work. Sculpting![/QUOTE]

This is where I am confused. I am very new to all of this still ! How can I mark the seams when I have a mesh as dense as this ?

In Edges Edit mode, select a starting edge for the seams, then press Ctrl and click over an edge that’s aligned to the former one, so to get the shortest path between them, proceed this way, navigating around your object until you get proper seams.

In my experience zooming in and out is very slow with dense meshes, while rotate view and pan is faster, so start from a proper close-up and go along the object just panning and rotating the view as much as you can.

paolo

have you tried to use the unwrap from Sculptris?
In Sculptris, go into paint mode, and it will automatically unwrap your mesh. Then export the mesh (no need to keep the texture map).

In blender, you can go directly to the paint process. (creating a blank texture, and using the Sculptris UVmap)

Creating seams in this kind of meshes, is quite boring. You’ll have to select edge by edge, to make the seam. (I haven’t figure out michalis’ shortcut, as it doesn’t work or I don’t know how to make it work)

Edited: Oh… Thanks sourvinos for the enlightment :slight_smile: So its ctrl+RMB, it works great!

Cool ! Thanks for all the help guys ! It is really appreciated ! I have taken on board everything and have managed to do it ! Here is what it looks like now ! I also made some tweaks to the sculpt !

Here is another update :

Looks great!