Thank you Greybeard! And some questions

First off, Greybeard probably saved my neck and my sanity with his LSCM tutorial. Thanks so much. LOL Somehow I got this mental image of a wizened old digital wizard sitting in his high backed chair smoking a pipe and teachin us yungins how to push polys around. LOL

Thank you Greybeard!

Now then…questions!

1. Is there a way (aside from the B key) to select a “loop” of verts or edges? For instance I have Greybeards metaball shape…I want to select a whole row of verts running its length. Is it possible to select just one vert in that row and then tell Blender to select either the “loop” or “ring”? ** sorry if these are unfamiliar terms–hopefully my use of GBs metaball will illustrate what I mean.**

2. In the LSCM tut…what is the function of the Texfaces button? did it just allow us to view the testmap in the viewport?

3. On my model specifically, I have 2 different LCD screens, the body of the model and a small camera lense. Could I just declare my edges and LSCM the whole thing with one material or would I need to back up, declare materials for specific verts (it the verts of the screens, the body, the camera, etc.) and THEN LSCM each individual slice?

4. Aside from the “Official” book, can anyone recommend another GOOD manual for Blender 2.34?

thanks so much for everyones help. between Mod and Greybeard I can begin to understand the texturing engine in Blender now.

LMAO About the loops…or face loops as theyre called here…Greybeards Subsurf tut answered that question.

Way cool.

Still lookin for the other questions though

Is there a way (aside from the B key) to select a “loop” of verts

Alt-B selects a edge loop of verticies. Add a uvsphere enter edit mode and press alt-B and you will see how it works.

In the LSCM tut…what is the function of the Texfaces button? did it just allow us to view the testmap in the viewport

I use the texface button so that I can see the image currently loaded in the uv editor on my model to tweak it. It will also render correctly. Usually you will want several uv-maps (spec, color etc.) I load my maps as a image texture in the texture area of the materials buttons and then under “map input” select uv, this way you can have as many uvtextures as you require.
There may be some game engine related issues with texface but I can’t comment on this.

Could I just declare my edges and LSCM the whole thing with one material

Yes. Currently you can have only one uvmapping per mesh (you can have multiple uv textures that use this mapping though). If uvmapping is the best approach for your model I can’t comment on without seeing it.

1. Aside from the “Official” book, can anyone recommend another GOOD manual for Blender 2.34?

Not that I know of, others may know better.

GreyBeard

Thank you sir.

Ive just discovered somethign odd.
My Shift key doesnt worj with the keypad.

I cant do a Shift+number key. snort

Correction --> the texface button isn’t required to view the texture in the 3d viewport but rendering won’t work without it if your image is loaded via the uv edditor.
It was just such a habit of mine to turn it on.

wrong again,
GreyBeard

Try this:
http://www.statikonline.com/Blender/

Download all 3 parts. It is a good learning overview of Blender.

Yup. Got these.

Thanks for taking the time to make the LSCM tutorial GreyBeard. You have really cleared up a lot of things about the usage of this great feature.

Where can I find that testmap that you used in your UV tutorial?

For map see:
https://blenderartists.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11889&highlight=landis+airman

GreyBeard