The 2.8x OpenSubDiv implementation; Development thread

I tried 2.9 lately and I’ve noticed that it got a bit faster when using subsurf. It’s still slow but at least there’s an improvement I think.

the improvements on blender 2.90 are a bit indirect, and a bit because a bug has been fixed that created annoyances since the first blender 2.80. For a real gpu acceleration it will take blender 2.91 - 2.92

Unfortunately bcon 2 ended tomorrow and nothing about gpu opensubdiv☹️ unfortunately no one cares, maybe they tuckle for blender 3.0 in 2022 or whatever

2 Likes

I can’t hide the disappointment either.
It’s been more than a year since open subdiv GPU is mentioned here and there and still no progress, nor communication about it, in spite of the dev fund increase allowing more resources for Blender’s development.
However according to the schedule, should happen any time between now on and the end of the year. Let’s keep our hopes high :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Bumping this, because by the look of things, Sergey not being on dev-ops anymore is leading to new commits regarding the OpenSubDiv implementation, including these new ones improving the UV interpolation.

Hopefully this means he’ll get around to those performance improvements that are badly needed.

5 Likes

finally compatible with zbrush! :pray:

someone tell Sergey or blender foundation that animation playback is terrible,
come on Sergey show the world why you are the best blender developer!!!

How on earth are the institute’s animators not held back by these performance problems, I can’t understand. It should be a top priority…

1 Like

joke of the year!
Milestone 3 - opensubdiv
Fast mesh OpenSubdiv viewport implementation.
Time estimate: ?
https://developer.blender.org/T73360

Really I don’t understand why BF removed old CC subdiv for this. It’s absolutely crazy… :open_mouth:
One only has to hope they get it back and remove this opensubdiv thing asap…

2 Likes

If you take a look to people working on it, project leader is Campbell who is involved in too many modules.
He is a kind of “mister solving everything”.
He passed last year, triaging, solving bugs, python AP, updating deps and making reviews.
So, he had difficulties to make any progress on his own stuff (tools and high poly mesh).
He made progress on UVtools and future Add Object tool. But high poly mesh stuff did not progress.
And the other member is Clément who spent his time on EEVEE improvements.
So, that is not a surprising consequence.
If I were manager of development team ; I would allocate Antonio Vasquez and Pablo Dobarro who are developing their field, at an insane speed (that users have an hard time to follow), to Campbell fields, to help him to progress.

5 Likes

that would be great!

Don’t forget Sergey Sharybin who works on Subsurf.

Seems that this is one area that is very frustrating for end users.

The actual task you are referring to is called: Fast highpoly mesh editing

In that context, this priority makes a lot of sense. It is way down, because for editing, other things are more important.

What does CC mean in this context?

Yes, Sergey did the update of OpenSubdiv library and fixed new multires modifier.
He also updated tracking stuff.

Sergey is the same kind of profile than Campbell.
There are 14 modules of development.
Campbell is involved in 6. And Sergey in 5.

I think that developers that has a status of admin did not progress as fast as expected by users.
They made progress in half of fields they are supporting.
But now, users are still desperately waiting for progress into the other half.

That, or do what Cycles team is doing with hiring dedicated senior dev that can take some duties from admin-dev.
If there is enough money of course.

i guess catmull clark.

Now it makes sense, thanks.

Its also a joke that this task set to normal instead of high priority now.
https://developer.blender.org/T73360 16
As soon scene gets a bit more heavier till mid/ end of the project blender shows its weak side. Especially noticeable in undo and subdiv area.

8 Likes