The Animation Process

(goku18john) #1

Hello,

I am not new to the community, but this is the first time I have posted on the boards. I am doing an informative speech on what I think are the three main points about the animation process. So Far the three points I am thinking of using are:

Story Board
-Thinking of a medium (3D, handrawn, mixed)
-What will animation be about

Animating
-Key Frames
-Modeling

& Post Production.
-Adding voices
-Putting in Sounds

I was wondering if these are the most important points to talk about or not. If there is anyone in the animation industry I would realy like it if you could give me an idea of the process you use when you animate something.

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR THE HELP
:stuck_out_tongue: (A college student who needs help) :stuck_out_tongue:

(Riskbreaker) #2

Now I dont really work in an animation industry, but from what i’ve seen from here and there, I kinda always thought that voice overs were done before animation (or at least facial animation). I dunno, maybe I might just have my wires crossed somewhere.

-RISKBREAKER

(Pablosbrain) #3

Tipically the voice parts are recorded first while soundfx are usually developed towards the end. Here is what I’ve done with several others while trying to create an animated short (http://fwd-rev.com).

• Story Idea (Medium usually already decided)
  • Character Development (Concept Art)
  • Story Boards (More Concept Art)
  • Start SoundTrack development (Group C)
  • Edit Story Boards together in video for timing
  • Build models (Group A)
  • Start texturing models (Group B)

Thats what we’ve accomplished up to today… the future process we’ve got planned finishes as below

• Rig Models for animating
  • Setup Scenes with Character Place holders
  • Light Scenes and Setup Cameras and Camera Movements.
  • Render Animatic and review for any necessary changes
  • Replace Character Place holders and animate scenes (May take quite some time)
  • Render tests and review
  • Verify final texturing is complete and run final render
  • Edit video segments to soundtrack
  • Add SoundFX
  • Final edit with all sound components
  • Create any promotional material (posters, vhs tapes and the like)
  • Submit to different animation and film festivals.

When I make refrence to the different groups… A, B and C… I mean different groups of people… you can develope things in tandom if you plan well and communicate well. We are currently hoping that we’ll be able to finish our short film this coming spring. Everyone helping in my animation is only doing it on the side of a real job and family so its tough to find the time to keep working on it. But its definitely a lot of fun! I hope this helps… I’m no industry leader… more of a follower. There are a lot of books out there that will help. Also… just go through all the extras on any Pixar DVD to get a more entertaining view on the process… which… Monsters Inc. comes out Tuesday here in the US on DVD and VHS.

• Paul

(SGT Squeaks) #4

well, I work at a production studio and we are currently making an animated tv show for PBS that will be airing next year. We have different people who preform the different task. Not everyone who models animates and not everyone who animates textures. Each person has a specific function that they preform. I for example am the set designer and head set/prop modeler. Here is the processes we use for each episode of the show.

1. We get the script from the writers.

2. We read the script over and over and our character designers design the characters for the upcoming episode.

3. I make a list of all the sets and props that will be needed for the episode. I draw out the sets from many views and I also draw some of the unique props.

4. I send the set art to the story board artists. The character designers send their character art and the storyboard artist recieve the sound clips. The story board artist draw out the sequences for the animators.

5. while the story board artists are drawing out the story boards I begin modeling the sets based off my designs.

6.The character artist begin modeling and rigging the characters from there designs. ( they get together and choose which designs they like, but I am the only set designer)

1. The storyboards are sent to the texture/lighting artists along with my finished models. They light the models based off the areas where the characters are going to be. They then texture the models based off the lighting. They also texture the characters and change the character lighting for the different scenes.

2. while the sets and characters are being textured and light the animators get some basic box models from me and begin making an animatic. I also help choose the camera angles for the episodes.

9.At this point I am done because I have made all the sets and props, but if there needs to be something changed to a model the texture artist usually catch it and ask me to change it. Once my models are finished I move on to the next script and start my process over again.

1. Once the sets and characters are done the texture artists send them to the animators who begin the animating. At this point I am sending the next episodes models to the texture artists, so it works in a circle.

And that is the basics of a TV show production for a season. sadly we dont use blender at all at work, we use lightwave and wings for the modeling, lightwave and darktree for the texturing and we use messiah for the animating. (But I use blender at home, even though I am a total newbie to it :smiley: )

(goku18john) #5

thanks for all the info. I really appreciate it.

(IMProvisar) #6

I’ve seen the same thing. I seem to recall in “making of” features of the “Final Fantasy” DVD, the animator of Dr. Ross showing how he worked, and one of the things available for him to reference was the video of Ming Na as she read the part.

Seems to me much easier for the animators to sync the face to the recordings (esp. if video of the reading is available), than for the narrators to sync to the animations.

Though I’m sure all the Foley mixing (sound effects) and scoring are done afterwards… I’ve seen shots of an orchestra playing in front of a big screen with the movie playing while they laid down the score.

Imp

(SGT Squeaks) #7

well I know that we get the sound script before we even start animating. It sounds a lot harder to have the actors speak to the animation. Oh and once we are done with the animations we have then send to a sound effects studio who adds the sound effects and music, doing it that way is pretty much how all studios do it. Like the final fantasy production that Imp mentioned.

(rwenzlaff) #8

I saw a presentation by David Salter (Story editor of Toy Story 2) I made a little tute on it.

http://www.soylent-green.com/tutes.html

bob