The Atmospheric Railway

I’m a bit bored with the pumping station in the middle of the image

So I’m going to attempt to replace it with something a bit more interesting.
I sketched this in my lunch hour

I think this might be quite fun!

Procress so far, no texture yet and smaller details to be added

Great idea on expanding the pumping station. The train texturing looks top notch as well.

God you know how to add detail to stuff…good work Carel!

Final pi for the day. I’ve left finishing the pumping station for later, and moved on to the distant buildings, which are retextured, and the lighting is coming along. the airship has accidentaly picked up a metallic texture, but that will be fixed.

The airship actually looks better with that texture. It adds a sort of military/badass/stealth feel to it.

For me, there’s too much going on. I dont know where to look first. Maybe you should work with different brightness, contrasts and saturation, so the eye will be guided.

There’s no aerial perspective, mist or atmospheric effects at all at the moment, and I am hoping that that will help to firm up the picture later, so it will be something that I address, but I think that I need to finish the texturing first

I’ve finished texturing the pumping station, and I’ve added some lights. I may experiment with the lighting in this area a bit more, and possibly tone down the lighthouse light (not too much though).

I don’t think it’s too crowded, although you wouldn’t want any more crowding. I like the overall feel.

I was wondering about the locomotive. It has the look of a grungy freight hauler rather than an express. I’d be giving it a bit of love in the livery department.

I totally agree.

Latest update, the engine is now done, and I’ve backed off the light on the lighthouse. Airship next, and I need to add some detail to the platform surrounding the pumphouse.

You don’t appreciate how nice the texturing came out on the train until you click for a larger view. Perhaps you had plans to do this, but if not, you might consider a few final changes to this area of the shorline, currently it looks too straight and flat. If you look closely, there is some kind of semi transparant structure that you may want to take a look at.

I was curious if you will be adding any motion blur to the train itself?

Loco looks much better now - can you do a closeup of the loco?

Cheers, Clock.

I was just catching up on posts. This is a very nice scene. From a technical, not graphics or blender, perspective, there is one problem. The tube that the vehicle rings travel along is supported by pillars at each pier. I might be better to have those rings with a gap at the bottom.
Sorry, but I’m one of those guys who looks at how things work:)
Ed

I already rumbled him on that. :smiley: They do have a gap at the bottom now. It’s just a bit hard to see unless you view the image at full size.

This is going to be the last update for a while, I have been flung headlong into a rather important recording session, which looks like it is going to take two or three weeks to complete, and I’d rather give both that and this my full attention so I will shelve this until that is finished, coming back to this subsequently (if you get my drift).:yes:

Harley, I agree that that corner looks unfinished, so I will be giving it some attention later on. I am somewhat ambivalent about motion blur mucking up my carefully detailed models, so I may solve the problem by having the train stopped at a red signal.

Knotian, gumboots is right, I did fix the rail so that the train is technically feasable. It’s just that you can’t see it from this angle very well.

Clock I’ll do a closeup when I get back from the other job. The computer will unfortunately be required for my abbey road impersonation.

This has come a long way since the competition and it is unfolding nicely.

I’m uncertain about the time of the day in this render. Together with the moon there is still much environmental light which would suggest that the sun isn’t completely gone. But in this case I’d expect to see a more blue tint for the sky and some red tones for the environment. If the world is only lit by the moon it is a bit too bright in my opinion.

With all the elaborated details, the towers, the lights and the perspective it has a kind of Disney feeling. And that is meant as compliment, not as critique :slight_smile:

Very good job. Interesting to see your journey into constructing this image.
There’s just something in the composition of your image that stroke me. The airship is too parallele and maybe too close of the railway…
It looks artificial that those two elements are so parallele…
Maybe you can try, if you want to play with your composition to move it a little to the right and maybe turn it a little so it faces the camera a little more… That will give to your image a more dynamic composition. The train going in one direction and the airship going in the opposite but in a more affirmed way…

But it’s just my feeling watching your image, not an absolute truth. :slight_smile: That’s the thing when you’re creating an image like this, it’s all about personal choices… It all depends on how you feel and how it looks in the end. :slight_smile:

Keep the good work!!! :wink: