The BA Spaceship Fad Continues

yep, it’s another spaceship. This time it’s a freighter.

It’s the first time I’ve put this much work into one spaceship, which is sad considering I don’t think it’s the best idea I’ve ever had, but I’m determined to finish and tour it (with a rendered video). Wish me luck. I’m sharing this thread with the hope that I’ll get feedback and “backseat driving” so tell me I’m wrong and what you think is better. That being said here’s the first pictures.

First off credit for the fembot goes to Yoji over on Blendswap, I just tossed it in for kicks and size reference.
I’m still planning on adding another door starboard of the captains chair for the escape shuttle. I’m not a huge fan of how Star Trek it all looks right now, so I may still remove the captains chair, and/or significantly change up some of the other stations when I add in more details.
Question for if someone knows:If you look to the side of the windows there are those black regions in the windows, that’s caused by the IOR I think and I’m not sure how to get rid of it. I turned up the max bounces a ways and it didn’t noticeably change it at all. if anybody is familiar with this and can give a quick fix I’d appreciate it.

For size, the pink box standing in the bay is 2 meters tall.
As you can see not an incredibly complicated body shape, that was intentional at first now I find it a bit boring, but it’s giving me lots of needed practice for greebling in a semi-realistic way. the bay door is all the way open here, it also has a the partially open state where the doors don’t swing which would be plenty of room for most docking situations.

Still working on deck layout internal, so far only the cargo bays and fully planed out. Next update will probably be work on that. and if you haven’t figured it out by now I’m a noob who leaves the render viewport on WAY to much and gets much less done because of it. :stuck_out_tongue: don’t expect any opengl shots from me.

Thanks for looking and have a great day!

day 2
smaller, less time spent.
I’ve been fighting with the bridge layout first to make it less of a star trek rip, and now just practical usage and visual balance. I decided I probably didn’t need so many stations for people, it’s not like this is a combat vessel that encounters life and death situations and need snap responses for all the systems, so I condensed everything into a two man omni-station, liking the idea, not sure how well it’s playing visually though. (and forgive the random texture on it.) also with the extra room that made I figured it would be logical to include the navigation map for planning right on the bridge. I imagine the crew would leave a bar stool or equivalent around for that table.

I could go on for quite a long while about what’s going on other places and overall, but the end focus is that something isn’t balanced with the layout right now and I will be searching for what’s wrong, until I find that feel free to add your thoughts.

-ATS

I think it’s looking great. As much as I love Star Trek and a lot of the other shows and movies like BSG and Star Wars, I always prefer original stuff. It looks like a commercial freighter.

That’s awesome, I actually love the body shape and don’t see a need to change it. I can see you greebled the roof, they look a bit thin - like, there should be a little more, maybe. Great start.

It’s looking great so far. But since that ship is a freighter it would make sense for the pilot controls to be right up against the window for a better range of view.

And by the way, did you use separate objects for those large metal plate-looking greebles, or did you just extrude them from the mesh?

sorry for the slow reply,

Thanks USSMidway, and Owldude. I may yet go back and redo some of the greebling in those area’s, but for now I’m going to go ahead and focus on the internals of the ship.

Gordax: I thought about moving it forward, but I decided against it for two reasons, 1) I didn’t want to intrude on the observation deck, and 2) actual visibility in space isn’t really the most practical thing anyways, normal flight would still be primarily reliant on screens because of the massive distances involved. I tried a compromise though, tell me what you think.

as for the hull plates, I duplicated the base mesh to a new object, and the chopped and diced that up into the plates. so yes, they are now a separate object that I can turn off when I don’t want to see that.

I’ve also been wasting way to much time with the holotable… I’m thinking that I need to go back to the drawing board/research room though on the effect as I’m still not liking how it looks cheep and obliviously using the blur node.

i like your ship so far! but i wonder which kind of style you want to achieve. the hull looks good and the ship has a large hangar because it’s a freighter which makes senses imo. no offend, but the bridge reminds me a bit of a waiting room… :stuck_out_tongue: there is this long row of seats (like in a medical office)! i think this looks a bit odd for a freighter ship.
i understand why you do not intend to >reproduce< the star trek style. instead of this, you could take a look on some photos of real ship bridges - just google it! the monitoring desks have keyboards, handsets for communication, radar screens, levers and switches. you can also model a ship’s wheel - why not?
i’m looking forward to see your finished ship! hopefully, my comment helps you!

yeah, so um, not really an update on the spaceship, but I got distracted learning cycles materials. I figure I’ll share the test image I’ve made here because I can. It does kinda relate as I used the small shuttle from the post above. :o just a bunch of node work, some of which is probably no longer visible as I changed things and messed up other area’s, but the fun fact is that every thing you see here is procedurally generated in blender at render time. :stuck_out_tongue:

Looks like Adamant is everyone’s favorite scale comparison ship. =)