The beauty of micropoly displacement

That’s way we would really like to have it in Blender… just look at the work of this guy, I’ve cropped the image to show wireframe and render together.

link to the original thread:

http://www.evermotion.org/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=55922

http://www.riccardocovino.it/temp/displace.jpg

One day.
I can dream.

Currently the only way of doing this would be to use an external and probably a renderman renderer (Aqsis/Pixie) as they have micropoly displacements (I believe). May become easier once BtoR is finalised. That said I would love to see this integrated into the internal renderer.

I think I heard someone mention this coming to Blender but that may have been a rumour/false information.

Koba

You are really boring!!!
It’s planned, not immediately, but devs are aware about it then it’s on the todo-list.

Go blend or hunt BUGS and stop to waste bandwidth!

cheers

I’ve heard about Ton wanting to put in a Reyes renderer, which is the same type of renderer that most Renderman renderers are. Also, the dev’s allready heard this request many times, though.

Are you sure it’s displacement in that image? I see many flat edges- I would have guessed good photo texturing myself, but I’m often wrong about these things…
PS I’d love micropolies too, but I doubt it’s something that can happen too soon- since it involves more indepth reworking the renderer than adding on a feature “on top” of the existing one. But I think it will be much sooner when the renderman export script is deemed finished, and the brave can use pixie or aqsis for micropoly scrumptiousness.

Pardon my ignorance, but seeing the picture & wireframe, couldn’t the same be achieved with Normal Mapping? Or is it much harder to first create the high-poly image to be used as Normal Map versus directly using micropoly displacement? Come to think of it and seeing that we haven’t got it in Blender, what IS the workflow for arriving at a picture like the one above using micropoly displacement?

normal mapping is hardly a substitute for micropoly displacement. for one thing the shadows will not be nearly as good or accurate.

normal mapping is hardly a substitute for micropoly displacement. for one thing the shadows will not be nearly as good or accurate.

I don’t think Normal Mapping or Bump mapping have shadows at all, just shading.

to re-iterate- I don’t really see displacement in this image- it looks like good photo texturing to me- none of the geometry edges look anything but straight (like the wireframe)
I’ve been known to wrong (often) but I’d guess most of the lighting info in the (craggy) textures comes from the original photos and the scene is fitting because there aren’t any super strong directonal light sources that oppose them.

with micropolydisplacement, all your artwork will be automaticly beautiful, and almost no work needed at all. people will love you, you are popular and gorgeous… again, it will look like, there is a meaning for you to live. you smell good, you get new friends, no need to eat microwave dinners anymore.

it’s going to be so good… so good…

.b

with micropolydisplacement, all your artwork will be automaticly beautiful, and almost no work needed at all. people will love you, you are popular and gorgeous… again, it will look like, there is a meaning for you to live. you smell good, you get new friends, no need to eat microwave dinners anymore.

it’s going to be so good… so good…

Really? I want some, NOW!

lol. if only such was true.

Micro-what???
:wink:

I think there could be images that show micropoly displacement better then this one. But I agree that such a feature would be terrific for Blender. We could possibly achieve a much higher level of professionalism.

You think so eh ???

I’m pretty sure it’s micropolys what’s shown in the image, and vray renderer manages them in a very efficient and fast way.

for sure there can be better pictures about it, I’ll look for them.

@meltdown: I really don’t understand why you’re so aggressive: I know there’s some coders working on it (I asked directly to ton at the conference about it), but I don’t think that showing the capablities of a feature that’s yet to come is just a boring waste of bandwidth!

and you should know the blender community is often unaware of what other softwares can do.

Sadly, I’ve come to realize that Blender will only achieve true professionalism when youngbatcat finally receives his PhD in advanced c and computer graphics and rewrites the Blender sources from scratch.

We’re waiting anxiously for this to happen, I think we should give to him
the work of writing a micropoly displacement patch/module.
Eveyone agree? Ok, youngbatcat, this work is your.It’s logical, you seem
the more interested and the more expert in this field.
Don’t be scared, you can ask an hand or two to jazzroy.

Thats the plan Harky !

HA! I would do it in real time GPU powered!