The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Then Autodesk must not be all that serious :rofl:

2 Likes

Bugs exist in every software, but this is different. If you can’t see that, there’s nothing I can do.

1 Like

By your logic, we shouldn’t even have 2.80 then. There’s an enormous amount of issues far more serious and important than multires spikes, riding from version to version. But you go ahead, be pissed off all you like. No need to “do” anything on my part either, I’m fine, thanks.

3 Likes

I rest my case.

1 Like

And Unity Tech, and Epic Games, and The Foundry, and Adobe, and Microsoft, and Google, and…

Compared to some of those companies, the net number of totally broken features in Blender 2.81 would actually be lower (with Multires being the only feature that’s been seriously broken over the long term).

These days, you can’t say it will remain broken, even Blender’s color management got a proper Film transform. Fixing Multires has gotten the attention of one of the major devs. at least, it used to just be ignored.

2 Likes

This one sounds interesting.

https://developer.blender.org/D6251

9 Likes

The Multires has many issues especially after removing the old implementation,from Pablo’s presentation he himself mentioned it so there is nothing they can do for this short period of time…it’s planned to be tackled in 2.82,I would prefer we wait & get a proper fix then delay the release of 2.81, rushing the fix might be bad after all.

4 Likes

And I would prefer to have it temporarily disabled until the fix is in place.
I really don’t like their decision to break the mod even more just to hide the bug.

1 Like

Many complaints here you know that the versions in the branches are not production versions, so wait.

1 Like

I agree, making it work just on the top level will make people who are used to other sculpting apps resent Blender’s multires even more.

An only top level multires is anything but “multi”. It’s best to just turn it off altogether and bring it back when it’s at least on pair with 2.79 features (which had its problems, but, and I never thought I’d ever say that, was much better than the state we have now).

2 Likes

All this is just bombastic. Multires is tiny tiny percent of the whole software. Stopping the release cycle for it would be… Well let’s just say you can avoid it and everything will be fine

2 Likes

People need Multires. It’s a fundamental necessity in character art in Blender. It CANNOT just be removed until it works. It’s better to have a safety pin in it that stops folks from destroying their work while also allowing people still, you know, exist in Blender’s ecosystem. They made the right choice.

4 Likes

However, the spike/NaN bug was still just as severe (as in, it permanently ruins your sculpt), and it was still possible to trigger it quickly by sculpting lower levels and/or editing the underlying mesh.

You play Russian Roulette either way, the state of it in 2.8 probably discouraged new people from using it before any serious work was done, which might’ve been a good thing.

Then pray for the users to not hit the “Apply Base” button, cuz the destruction is still there… lol.

https://streamable.com/svfel

It would be better to just remove it for the time being, I guess...
3 Likes

:scream: You just made Suzanne vomit!

5 Likes

And it’s not just the apply base thing.
If you move some stuff and then try to subdivide further, you start getting some crazy artifacts.

4 Likes

If the Release Cycle going to be 6 months after the 2.81 then they should go ahead & work on a new Multires system that’s only suitable for sculpting & disable the current one completely.

1 Like

From scratch? Hehehe, I’m afraid there’s no manpower for that.

It’s one of the long term plans & i Believe it’s in Pablo’s Sculpt proposal if i am not mistaken…making it from scratch shouldn’t be that hard if they already have an established design for it.

2 Likes

Ehh, why ? Blender has never had as much manpower as it has now, unless I’m mistaken Multires was made by Nicholas Bishop as a GSOC project.