The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

I have artifacts when I use strength at 1, amount of iterations above 5 on a high density model with very low shape preservation and per vertex displacement.
That may be inherent to smoothing.
For instance, when I use smooth modifier with a factor superior to 2, I expect things going wrong if I ask for several iterations.
That is probably reason why default is 4 for iterations.

Per Vertex Displacement slider tooltip is exposing that connection. That is normal.
The more, mesh is dense ; the more, you have to lower this value to retrieve same behavior.

I think Per Vertex Displacement range is not pertinent. I don’t think that anybody will use values between 0.5 and 1.

As explained, you have to reset per Vertex Displacement at each remeshing or multires subdivision that will change mesh density.
I will use a value of 0.25 for Shape preservation at, 0.15 for Per Vertex Displacement and 5 iterations, below 100 000 polys.
But close to 1 million or above, I will put 2 zero after dot (0.0025 / 0.0015). But that implies to avoid artefacts that I will not increase brush strength above 0.8.
If it has no impact, I switch to Laplacian method.

I don’t know if it is possible to keep brush responsive if it has to mix both methods results.

Ideally, user should not have to deal with Per Vertex Displacement setting.
If Pablo could find a way to automatically choose a pertinent value, without generation of artifacts when increasing iterations : that would be great.

2 Likes

Ok thank you!

That “Persistent” function seams pretty handy.
I was wandering if it could be also usefull for the Crease brush?
So you can get persistent creases.
( Because that’s why I wanted to try the layer brush, to get persistent creases on my mesh. But I haven’t found the right fall off setting to get the result I want ).

I can’t find any of those things. Per vertex displacement ? By amount of iterations do you mean “stroke spacing” ? Are these settings in 2.83 only ?

They are smoothbrush options in surface mode.
Not sure, but if I remind right that mode is a 2.83 feature. No?

surfacesmoothbrush

Edit: Recreated the “buggy” situation. It happens with new files if the startup file still does contain old params. Then the Iterations can be zero which is not allowed normally. Then smoothing in that mode doesn’t work at all.

surfaceSmoothBrush

2 Likes

Yes. It is 2.83. I am sorry.
Debuk was talking about smooth brush and I did not get that you were talking about regular brushes.

There are bugs with default spacing. So Adjust Strength for Spacing option was added.
It solves artifacts but lowers a lot strength.
So, you have to increase strength above 1.
Before doing that, I am always with plane offset as far as I can when brush offers one.

i mean i started with a plane extrude here , extrude there but the problem is my plane will be destroyed if i subdivide it with voxel remesh.Is there any alternate technique to subdivide my basemesh besides voxel remesh??

*sorry my english sucks ^^v,language barrier is real

Yes. @kaltyiontrish explained to you that you could use Quadriflow remesher for that.
Then I explained where you could find it in Blender. (Mesh Properties > Remesh Panel > Quad)

But you can also do CTRL ALT R to call it in Sculpt mode. Then you will probably have to disable Use Paint Symmetry before pressing OK button.

Or you can do it, in an old school way. Switch to edit mode, select faces and call right click menu -> Subdivide.
Or you can add a multiresolution modifier to mesh and press Subdivide button.

Dont get me wrong. But i was trying to explain that to the other guys.
I was just not sure if there could be other way of doing it.
I use the old school way if the geometry is easy enough.

@moony @Debuk @Hadriscus @Metin_Seven and anyone else I missed who is discussing surface smooth: there were a few updates Sunday April 19. If it isn’t working, and you are using 2.83 or 2.90, I would suggest updating.

Fix T75778: Missing ME_VERT_PBVH_UPDATE in Surface Smooth
Fix T75766: Smooth mask using mesh vert indices directly
Fix T75329: Missing show_face_sets checks for Multires
Fix T75662: Surface Smooth filter not checking face sets
Fix crash on Multires Face Set visibility sync

5 Likes

Pablo made a new patch that adds an operator for switching objects by pressing S while hovering the cursor over an object. There are some other optimisations in there like MultiRes automatically switching over to Preview mode so you can have a low MultiRes level for easier viewport navigation without the need to manually do it.

https://developer.blender.org/D7510

14 Likes

We discussed about the brush behavior 2 days ago with builds up-to-date.
Except most recent, first link (4 days ago), those fixes are related to Face Sets or Mask, not to surface smooth mode of Smooth brush.

I am wondering if it will annoy people. S is used to call Smooth Brush.

The initiative is great, but like Zeauro says S is bound to smooth brush and I find it really useful. Calling the smooth brush with shift is fine, but you can’t adjust strength among other things… so keeping a hotkey is good imho.

Maybe for now, but it is flawed by having to do that. If we had a proper brush manager system we would be able to switch out different smooth brushes or use other types of brushes when using shift by customising the modifiers. Then you could create a set of different brushes that you could switch out similarly to how ZBrush does it.

We also need a universal brush settings list more akin to Photoshop with a single Brush tool or a couple of Brush tools than tons of Brush tools and unique brush lists for every tools like it’s done now.

Darken inactive objects (Zbrush like) :wink:
https://developer.blender.org/D7516

23 Likes

Sure, but sometimes you would still have to adjust smoothing strength wouldn’t you ? Unless you set up enough presets to cover you in any situation ? Surely the brush manager should be the answer to a lot of shortcomings…

To quote my favourite character:

:partying_face:

1 Like

I always have it set to 1.000 in Strength. I used to have it at 3.000 because I found smoothing in Blender to be a bit weak. However, I make it a habit to avoid smoothing and instead rely on subtle brush strokes with lower Strength to get a more natural effect. I only use smoothing when it gets way out of control and I need to rethink how to approach an area.

The only time I want to change settings is when I want to use the new Surface Smooth setting. Of some reason only the first brush is used for shift, so you can’t select another one and work with that. It’s pretty impractical, but I just have to live with it until the brush manager is in.

1 Like

Who else wants that? (Add Multires experimental features) :wink:

This adds the option to enable scupting in multiple levels in Multires.

https://developer.blender.org/D7522

9 Likes

Does not bother me, i hold shift to use the smooth brush all the time. I rarely select the smooth brush directly unless I did to change some brush values/property, for that I click on the smooth brush.

3 Likes

Yes! I honestly don’t care about the bugs, as long as we are able to test MultiRes with actual levels. Bugs are already a part of being an Alpha/Beta tester, so just let us test please!

6 Likes