The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Yes, even after all these years I still have MAHcut Mech B in my custom brush palette. :smiley: although the new Chisel brushes kind of overshadow the Mah cut brushes a bit now.

My main cutting brushes in ZB are Dam_Standard for all general cutting, Dam_Standard_02 and Pablo Munoz Knife_sharp_control for organics/wrinkles, Mahcut and Chisel for hard-surface. Slash 3 and Orb brushes for certain cases.

4 Likes

I also like the SK range of brushes by Sakaki Kaoru a lot, and some of the ten million XMD brushes.

1 Like

How did you do that?

Just export the image from the alpha palette. It will save out as a 512k .psd.

1 Like

I’d almost forgotten about that spam merchant. :laughing: I purchased his ‘free for life’ premium membership years back, just went on his site now, logged in…he’s charging $10 for brush packs. So much for ‘free for life’ :grimacing:

1 Like

Sergey responded to the Apply Base problem. https://developer.blender.org/D7644

The goal of Apply Base is to modify base mesh in a way that level 0 elements of the displacement grids are 0. While current refitting does not really achieve that perfectly it is possible to improve refitting.
To me it seems to address motivational part of this patch improving refitting algorithm is the way to go.

The fact that your new Apply Base behavior matches Rebuild Subdivisions suggests that it is the latter one which needs fixing.

Basically, the rule of thumb is: keep displacement as small as possible.

Not sure what he means by the “latter one”, but if it’s Rebuild Subdivisions he’s talking about, I don’t think I agree with his sentiment. The base algorithm for Rebuild Subdivisions doesn’t need to get fixed.

Honestly, the current one looks better and behaves better for most scenarios, while the old one is more suitable for restoring your mesh so it doesn’t shrink too much when resubdividing from scratch again.

1 Like

On a side note, the creator of the original dam_standard brush came out with a dam_standard_02 brush which is even better than the original. Would love to see this make its way into Blender as well.
https://www.artstation.com/artwork/mbrnE

4 Likes

Did you know that the Orb brush pack has been converted to Blender brushes a few years ago?

I don’t know how well they hold up since Sculpt Mode brushes were turned inside out by Pablo, but here’s the link:

3 Likes

Well, guys. It’s been fun, but I guess our hopes and dreams of Blender taking over all of sculpting are over. ZBrush has invaded Blender with a GoZ plug-in. It’s time to pack our bags and convert to becoming ZBrushers! :wink: :wink:

Jokes aside, it’s pretty cool how Blender gets more and more legitimate for professionals with additions like these.

1 Like

See my post above… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes, he’s saying it’s Rebuild subdivs that is the issue. As far as I’m concerned Apply base is obsolete. Nobody is going to derive displacements from a mesh that is so far from volume/form as the subdivided version. As I said earlier, in over 10 years of baking displacement maps from head/character sculpts in a production environment in Zbrush, I’ve never once had to use the Cage feature(same as Apply Base)

5 Likes

I think you should tell him that in the patch comment section. We need more people like you to leave direct feedback to the devs. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Is it just me or Automasking: Topology doesn’t works for most brushes?
It only works with Grab Brush for me so far…

Works with all the brushes for me. It works the same as topological masking in Zbrush so it will only affect the first mesh element touched by the brush.

Which thread is that? I don’t really go to the dev forums much. There seems to be 3 different ones and that confuses me so I just stay away. :upside_down_face:

It’s the same link I posted that you previously replied to. It is the website where all the patches are located.

2 Likes

Done. :+1:

4 Likes

In Maya or Zbrush (move topological brush) it only affects connected parts of the mesh and it is perfect. In Maya it is like that for ALL the brushes and it is awesome:

This is how Autodesk explains the Surface Falloff:
chrome_PIMWRlccYA
And the volume, whic is how Blender brushes work right now:
chrome_LLHoECHbhh

9 Likes

You’re right, I just tested again on a mouth with good topology and it’s completely broken. Grab works all right and I sort of got Clay Strips to work, but it’s inconsistent.

It does work fine on non-contiguous mesh elements, but is broken across topology spans.

3 Likes

There’s no geodesic distance calculation right now but it’s on Pablo’s plans (read it somewhere, maybe on dbo ?)

5 Likes