The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

The “Remesh” has a big issue to consider it usable.

Joining an object with a cylinder object and using Remesh, sculpting with Dynotopo, the Remesh clearly did not bridge the two objects surfaces like Zbrush or 3D coat do.

Very visible when starting to smooth surface.

2 Likes

@Ratchet Are you talking of dyntopos tesselation or remeshing? The voxel remesher is part of pixars openvdb and definitely supports bridging/combining formerly separated individually closed parts.

Make sure that they are overlapping well and that the voxel grid is not too coarse for the planned action.

If you are talking of dyntopo its not supported that is just tesselation of stretched faces no remeshing. Activating it deativates the remesher, so deactivate dyntopo before remeshing.

3 Likes

Sculpt: Cloth Brush/Filter Collisions
https://developer.blender.org/D8019

24 Likes

Voxel Remesher is the remesher that merges geometry together. Dyntopo can’t do that, which I also think is a problem, but there is nothing hindering you from mixing Voxel and Dyntopo together. Sometimes you also don’t want separate geometries to merge, so both have their uses.

3 Likes

You can use Boolean to merge meshes if you want to use Dyntopo, but often the transitional edges have polygon issues, resulting in gaps and other bad topo when you Dyntopo-brush across the Boolean union seams.

2 Likes

If we can get collision support for the pose brush as well as a way to simulate generic softbodies, then we will have the foundation for true, physically-based animation. That is providing this type of thing can be made to work with Blender’s armatures and be able to convert to a baked physics sequence.

2 Likes

It’s not perfect, but I usually fix it with Simplify brush.

2 Likes

Clearly, that looks like he is playing with cloth simulation.
That is not a great demo.

This cloth filter looks like a useless duplication of cloth modifier.
You need to quit Sculpt mode to add a collision modifier, anyways.
And, he wants to add more settings to give better results.
I am a little bit afraid that will end-up being too slow to set-up to be interesting compared to cloth modifier able to handle some stretching.

If he wants to eliminate a modifier workflow need in sculpt mode, in order to make cloth ; he probably should try to satisfy same use as Shrinkwrap modifier.
He already did it in Sculpt Snapshots try. But it was just an experiment.
He should think about a serious design for that.

I guess i might have missed a step or did not uncheck Dynotopo before using “Remesh”;
you can check it worked when “Remesh” is used the resulting object is one color only.

2 Likes

You can’t actually interact with the cloth in realtime though (through the modifier). Last I checked, you can’t even do so much as watch the simulation unfold as it is baking.

The brush brings realtime interactivity, and it would be great if it was possible to use this to direct cloth motion for rendering purposes.

4 Likes

https://devtalk.blender.org/t/gsoc-2020-outliner-weekly-reports/13710/10

Now we can select different objects without going out of sculpt mode
20 Likes

Nice, although this was already possible by deactivating Lock Object Modes, then Alt + clicking on a mesh.

3 Likes

Great, this was really missing.

But better make a shortcut like “key” + “click on object” to quickly select object in sculpt mode instead of having to deal with hierarchy view.

1 Like

Has someone tested the delete lower patch? It rebased to the latest master and takes quite a while to do. 10 min and counting guess something is wrong.

EDIT: ITs a bug and i found the cause.

I concede that interacting with piece of cloth while using modifier is not immediately satisfying.
Cloth will jump to an unexpected position at validation of position.
So, if your moves are automatically keyframed. Cloth does not look right during your mouse movement.
But at second playback, result should be fine. That is not realtime.
But you are not forced to push quality of simulation at cost of hours of computations, that just takes few seconds to obtain a similar or better result than cloth filter.
And if you try to interact by moving collider instead of pinned cloth, modifier may be satisfying in realtime.

I am just talking about cloth filter. In video, there is no interaction using the filter.
There is one, just using the brush. But sincerely, reaction of cloth while using the brush does not look like a cloth animation at all. There is no gravity while using the brush.
Piece of cloth ends up in the air above collider at a comfortable margin.

I doubt that would be reasonable to use a sculpt mode tool as a serious animation tool.
I don’t think that just sculpting such effect shapekey by shapekey would be satisfying, either.
I don’t really understand how you could involve pose brush and armatures into that.
But if you really want to use brush effect for artistic animation ; maybe, a developer could extend Dynamic Paint modifier to handle a cloth effect based on cloth brush.

I don’t understand the interest of physic cloth simulation in sculpting mode ?

For clothes specialized software with pyhsics outside of sculpting is really the best

Marvelous designer

Blender Simplycloth

To add detail you can also work faster using cloth brushes

2 Likes

Do you prefer buying (or subscribing to) Marvelous Designer or having a similar feature inside Blender by default (for free) ?

6 Likes

Someone tried Cloth Brush & Sharpen for landscape sculpting?

2 Likes

I have a problem, loosely related to multi object sculpting.
So I have a character, with equipment/clothing, different object with different modifiers. I dont want to apply the modifiers but I’d like to modify proportions of a whole character in sculpt mode. Anyone have any workaround for this?

The sculpt cloth is really not the same features and workflow as marvelous, because marvelous works with cloth pieces that are tied together using physics.

Click on video to directly what at 20:40 to understand how it works.
Because it’s about drawing shapes and curves and no sculpting involved (i’m not sure you can reproduce the same tools in sculpt mode).

In production they really don’t have time to sculpt cloths when there is lot of characters to make, and marvelous designer allow to keep consistant results also.

Blender Simply cloth is a solution similar to Marvelous designer, it has lot possibilities while price is around 20$.

2 Likes