The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Really looking forward to performance improvements as well. It’s not like it’s slow, but some of the stuff like booleans or decimation can take quite a while.

2 Likes

:100:

The zmodeler stuff is my favorite (edge extrusion at last):slightly_smiling_face:
And I wanna see more of that zmodeler retopo thing… :thinking:

3 Likes

Well, in the world of Zbrush it doesn’t. Blender is certainly top dog in the world of sculpting in traditional 3D programs, but Zbrush is far, far, far ahead, and out on its own.

Most interesting for me with this is that HD Geo is receiving attention with the speed improvements. This is a BIG one.

This is a big step for Zmodeler workflow because up until now it has been limited to requiring a thickness mesh. If only N-gons weren’t illegal topo in ZB…

4 Likes

I missed this. That’s great! :+1: I’ve been asking for that and dynamic thickness for a long time.

2 Likes

Not directly sculpt related, but Campbell committed an option to add objects on the surface normals.

add-object

18 Likes

Nice! Although this has been a standard 3ds Max feature (Autogrid) since a thousand years. :slightly_smiling_face: Missed it for many years since my move to Blender.

2 Likes

Yeah, I think everything has had it for a thousand years. Even Blender has had some addons over the years to do that. Better late than never I suppose.

Maybe Pablo can expand it into “insert mesh” tools and the like, though.

7 Likes

Never used zbrush but it seems that they also added a grab method for cloth during the simulation similar to marvalous… I am waiting for this for ages to manipulate a cloth simulation during the simulation…

I have tried the cloth brush and filter and dont know for what i will really use this…

4 Likes

Well, goodbye Marvelous Designer…

1 Like

Hehehe… not so fast… MD is still light years ahead of the competition… :sunglasses:

6 Likes

No one’s going to mention the witchcraft of being able to save a 2d image and reload it in ZB as a 3d model?

7 Likes

It is however nice that this kind of improvement was so fast after the original implementation of the tool. It is a 2.90 feature after all, so having it work like that right out the gate when the patch officially launches is much appreciated. :partying_face:

2 Likes

They even improved the speed that was already amazing.
There is lot of new good things outside of cloth, like new Zmodeler or micropolygon features very interesting.

Is not Blender sculpting stealing all Zbrush main features from long time already ?

:rofl:

2 Likes

Yeah, how does that work exactly? I suppose that will have to mean potentially gigantic “.gif” files. Basically, just a 3D file that’s able to be previewed as an image format.

2 Likes

While I don’t deny that Blender copied a lot of things, consider the fact that the commercial vendors can literally have a copy of Blender’s source code on their servers, so whatever new algorithm the BF develops is in Maya, Zbrush, or C4D in the very next release. As long as they didn’t copy and paste Blender’s code, it is perfectly legal for the companies to do that.

FOSS meanwhile does not have that luxury, so the best it can do is listen to users (so as to retain them and facilitate more funding), continually onboard more volunteer devs, and keep the rate of paid development up.

5 Likes

It’s a (more or less “dirty”) hack of the GIF and PNG format that stores 3D sculpt data inside a 2D image format. I heard about it first at https://zbrushcore.com/mini/features.php where they called it “revolutionary”! And of course it will bloat GIFs and PNGs a lot to store 3D sculpt data there. They make it look like “hey, you take your 60mio poly sculpt and export a tiny GIF along with all of your data” or even “the new ZBrush can recreate 3D data from a simple GIF”! :crazy_face:
Maybe I’m too oldskool, but in my world you store cheap 2d image data (e.g. a thumbnail) in a 3D format, not the other way round!

4 Likes

Simulated Brush Fibers Falloff
https://developer.blender.org/D8377

16 Likes

weird brush feature i hope that could be usefull for something else…

1 Like

By the way, paint across UV Tiles (UDIMs) just landed in Substance Painter… FINALLY lol…

I wonder when the texturing improvements in blender will start… :thinking:

7 Likes

Best news of the year…

3 Likes