The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

No doubt about that, but I kinda want to mark up UV islands in sculpt mode since Edit mode is slow on highpoly sculpts. Once I can get the faceset out of sculpt mode, I can take it from there and do my own operator, but I’m kinda stumped on that first step, so I was hoping to borrow someone else’s (GPL) code :smiley:

1 Like

but how there is no way and it doesnt make sense to do it from there :joy: :joy:

Nah, it makes perfect sense. It’s much quicker to paint some facesets than to laboriously make seams in edit mode on high resolution models. I don’t really need the UV sets to be pretty, I just need them done quick and easy and not be garbage like the SmartUV option.

1 Like

nah no for complex models hehehe…if you mean to be able to mark seams in facesets boundaries thats ok, but still requires some extra work in edit mode to select edges loop to mark seams…

Which is why I want to automate it :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I can’t watch the video, but you can mask a face set using the expand command… but hey, this is like doing a fatality combo in mortal kombat lol… so, cursor over the face set you want to mask, then Shift + A, then F, then Ctrl (don’t release the Ctrl), then Click… and boom… hehehe… painful, I know…

#WaitingForTheActiveTool :wink:

3 Likes

Well. In the video, he does not mask the face set but the rest of mesh.
So, he does not have to make press F key.
He just do Shift A followed by Ctrl left click.

I did not look at the whole stream. But I am sure that Julian will make pertinent feedback to Pablo.

Honestly, I don’t see how you can test Pablo’s tools and don’t think about revamping default keymap of sculpt mode and a better brush management.

You did not understand his remark.
He doesn’t want to initialize a face set from edge properties.
He wants to initialize edge properties from a face set.
And for this opposite action, there is no solution, available in sculpt mode, at all.

Make face set → isolate face set → go to edit mode → unhide hidden faces → invert selection

Yeah I know the pain

2 Likes

Does the Sculpt Dev branch have the performance improvements Pablo implemented a little while ago? Namely sculpting on much higher polygon counts? Cheers.

I would like to see face set features in edit mode would be really useful like zbrush zmodeler

And edge color set in edit mode for temporary edge reference for bevel, inset and extrude.

heartbreak

I didn’t notice any difference in performance… so I guess nah…

I’d prefer the other way around (a zmodeler type of brush in sculpt mode)… :wink:

1 Like

I’ve just made my first Blender build. :blush: A new Sculpt Dev branch build is available.

Didn’t know building Blender takes almost as long as rendering a Cycles animation by the way. :wink:

5 Likes

11 Likes

Let the AI robots build Blender… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

2 Likes
16 Likes

OK. So, they should have an action plan, next week.

Wait, a “Sculpt Mode Features” meeting with no sculptors? :eyes:

2 Likes

Julien Kaspar is a sculptor

https://www.artstation.com/julienkaspar

6 Likes

Still feels weird this meeting… :no_mouth:

[concern]

2 Likes