The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Mine, I have put them on the drive in case you want to play with them.
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16CW1dMDcPKrwU94jnCXgn_ZvN72NXMVb?usp=sharing

Damian Winnichenko made other similarities

5 Likes

Thanks @wevon !

2 Likes

For those of you who miss the extended Voxel Remesh modifier, here’s an add-on to soothe your trauma. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

You can do pretty much any type of baking you want with nodes or custom OSL scripts. The color management system makes it pretty confusing however; I’m always forgetting which settings to use for which baking scenarios.

I’m hoping to have time in the next few months to tackle some of this stuff. To start with I want to make an add-on with a new, easier to use baking UI.

7 Likes

Great news, I don’t know if this could help but I’ve ““updated”” the script that @DamianoOriti did to bake tangent space vector displacement to vertex colors too, other than the script he overridden local in the Displace Modifier to work as Tangent Space, now you can install it as addon it creates a button in the object data tab in properties.
Vector_Displacement_To_Color.py (4.8 KB)
And you have the DisplacementBake in the ShaderNodesExtra from @nudelZ too

5 Likes

The new overlay “Flash on Mode Transfer” is in alpha now!

Commit > https://developer.blender.org/rBdba3fb9e091acfa7d2144468a220b2b0d577c15d

9 Likes

Good to know it can be turned off… :relieved:

1 Like

Yes, the devs are spoiling us with all those fancy on/off checkboxes all over Blender.

5 Likes

Texture and Mask Texture overlays are still there whatever brush texture mapping is used.
They were just moved to Cursor subpanel of Brush panel.

1 Like

This is huge

The first of the big performance optimizations from Joseph has landed in master.
https://developer.blender.org/rBef5a362a5b2422451124b84a22b84b4e74c2a792

This concerns multires sculpting, the video shows that just this commit makes a major difference in sculpting performance on a high resolution mesh. This is just a fraction of the work he has been doing on the core of Blender’s sculpting, so more big improvements should be coming especially for Dyntopo (as seen in his branch).

27 Likes

With a 30 millions poly subdiv model, the clay brush is 2x faster.

8 Likes

Was not this supposed to be in 2.92?

No, that’s the Mesh Fairing operation in Edit Face Sets, I was referring to the Sculpt Dev build’s Fairing brush, which uses the same technique but applied by brushing.

4 Likes

The Smooth brush (using other brushes) is also bugged, as it doesn’t consider the current radius, but still uses its own size.

3 Likes

I can’t see or feel any improvement… It is in master already?

Are you sure you did not deactivate Use Unified Radius button, at the right of Radius slider ?

It’s deactive, in fact I consider this to be a bug since it should use your current brush radius, unless you want to change brush to Smooth every time when you want to adjust something, or change radius constantly when switching brushes.

Or when you hold down shift, it should show the Smooth brush parameters, so that I know which brush I’m actually using.

By default, option is activated.
If it is not, you are responsible for that change.

Unification of brush radius is a simple generic option that does not make any exception for most frequently used brushes.

Now, if you want a specific brush like Smooth to adapt to last used brush radius, whatever status has unification option for that last used brush : that is a feature request, not a bug.

A bug is behavior different from what is expected behavior.
If you want a change of current expected behavior: that is a feature request.
It may be a valid feature request. But expect developers to take it in consideration as a right-click-select proposal and to reject it as a dbo bugreport.

I agree with that. I am not a fan of Global Smooth Strength slider under Options panel, in sculpt-dev branch.
I would prefer that holding Shift Would display entirety of properties of used Smooth Brush under Properties tab.

3 Likes

Looking at it better is not really a bug I changed the Unified Radius option because I was constantly switching from Clay Strips to Grab, and we know that they behave in a different way and do different things, so pressing F moving to desired radius, pressing down again to confirm every time was not something that I wanted to do; but when you see that the brush has the same size when you press down SHIFT, you’d expect to smooth with that radius, at least, with ZBrush the brush circle changes colour.

The feature request could work, just leaving the radius of the Smooth that’s being invoked with the SHIFT the same as the selected Brush, and let the standard Smooth Brush to have its radius.

By the way, you don’t have to do this anymore… the radial controls now have the “Confirm On Release” option… :wink:

7 Likes