The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

You voted for sculpt layers?

4 Likes

I think i didn’t even knew about right-click select one year ago lol. But i voted and commented right now. Thanks!

1 Like

he just doesn’t seem interested in developing tools to make this easier

But why he should? You merely asking him to drop “his” workflow in favor of “yours”. Because this is needed to really understand how make tools “easier to use for specific workflow”. Not every artist is even capable to switch workflows on request, not to mention to develop something new. I mean surely developer always try to do its best for everyone, but there is a real limits in what one head can handle well.

Pablo spending time on things he is interested first and that is normal (if this is fine with BF team in general). At least that way we get really “battle tested stuff” for at least one workflow, by artist who is really capable to do real work under active debugger - and this is HUGE.

And if some tools are feels half-assed - it means that in case of non-natural workflow (for Pablo) things would be much WORSE, not better

1 Like

Isn’t he getting paid full time?

1 Like

Even if he is, generally Blender devs will develop things they’re interested in first and foremost. Or to be more precise, they get hired because the stuff they were doing anyway was deemed valuable.

It’s just that in this case it’s a bit of a bitter pill to swallow.

Also, devs are usually not as inflexible as Pablo seems with this.

5 Likes

Isn’t he getting paid full time?

He is paid full time for stuff HE would like to do first, literally. Of course there is some considerations regarding overall architecture, command work, etc, but basically he is (as module maintainer) choosing what is needed first

1 Like

Isn’t there an official road map to bring Blenders sculpt mode closer to a professional and industry leading environment like the z program (you guys and girls know what i mean)?

That should be the main goal (in my opinion) and that will draw more and more people and especially studios to Blender (which is awesome).

1 Like

Not that I’m aware, no.

You just described the way Blender’s module system works. It’s how things are already done. As shown by Linux kernel development, it’s very scalable.

There aren’t 762 people with commit rights to Blender, either… it’s at about 25% that number. Even if the Linux kernel only had 1% of those people with commit rights, it’s still more committers than we’ve got on Blender. The point is that there’s a system in place to support more developers, and it’s one that works. So let’s start developing. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

I see your attempt at ending on a positive note. Fine, let’s do that :wink:

2 Likes

I guess this hits the spot of Blender’s success story. Blender is made possible by the inspiration and motivation of developers around the world. Developers are encouraged to add to Blender what they would love to see added, because Blender is not confined to a conventional corporate structure with lots of proposals, prototyping, bureaucracy and managers who need to agree with an addition.

Of course there are some guarded gates you need to pass before something is actually added to Blender’s master build, but overall it is relatively easy to contribute to Blender. Despite the impression of the Blender Foundation changing into a corporation with big corporate funding, it is still a real open source project where everyone is invited to join development. And if your contributions are good enough, you’ll deservingly get paid, like Pablo.

5 Likes

By the way, Ton Roosendaal has responded to the thread:

https://twitter.com/tonroosendaal/status/1425014547266560003

6 Likes

you have the module workboard and the Asset Creation Pipeline Design proposal and that’s it I think

1 Like

Oh no.
Not sure if I like this. Pablo seems a bit stubborn, I don’t want to see this discussion going further…

2 Likes

he said exactly the same thing as Pablo but with different words

I believe this is a false dilemma.

He said.
Again. This is not Pablo who raise that dilemma. It was people who (for some reason) think that Pablo’s doing some useless work on blender - just because he like to sculpt stylized characters in his own free time.

6 Likes

besides remesh i agree with those people.

The problem of Multires and speeding up blender, is not necessary Pablo area.
Multires and sculpt layers is Sergey domain I think…

So far, Pablo has done a lot of work with speeding up sculpt mode, and according to him sculpt mode need to be rewritten to use Bmesh data structure to make it future-proof and possibly faster…

The fact that he chose to do the low-hanging fruits for his div work make sense.
It proved sculpt mode to be a viable product, and In fact, in its current state it is better than Modbox. That’s what attracted a lot of people sculpting in blender to begin with, who then started attacking Pablo as an artist and also on a professional and human level too, and are upset because he is defending himself and his choice of art. Human nature ftw…

By the way, I don’t like Pablo’s art style myself, generally speaking anyway.
But his art choice is not my problem,
while his choices for his professional work as a dev, make sense to me…

12 Likes

pachupp,
If you’ll see Pablo’s own works - 95% of tools he use and tool that need to be used for “photoreal” works are the same.
Pablo never stated that blender doesn’t those 5% (multirez, layers and high polycounts) or he personally not interested in that. Quite opposite - he always stated that those things are essential for further development of the sculpt mode.
But there’s a lot of legacy stuff in the way and he is not qualified enough to fix that fundamental issues. So he’s doing what he could while Sergey and others works on the other improvements.

And another example how Pablo “doesn’t care” about big polycounts:
https://twitter.com/pablodp606/status/1309556563787550720?s=20

so he constantly working on this stuff

11 Likes

I also think that many here are just forgot that Pablo isn’t a professional coder. He’s an artist who learnt to code to make blender better. So anyone who complain could do the same if they think that Pablo’s doing wrong stuff

4 Likes

I don’t see Pablo to even defend something. There is an actual thing between a lot of people who think that “stylized” equals “not serious stuff”, “not real sculpting”, “not what professionals do” and so on.
Pablo just rightfully stated that that mindset is wrong. Not that his own art is super duper cool.

I feel myself stupid, because of need to explain the obvious things (not to you - your opinion is very reasonable, thank you very much for that).

1 Like