The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

Oh man that would be cool - thanks to you for asking Joe.

4 Likes

There’s a new build to test the new cavity auto-masking options: https://builder.blender.org/download/patch/blender-3.3.0-alpha+master-D15122.45e039c2efd8-windows.amd64-release.zip

4 Likes

Mask by cavity as auto masking is cool, but what I’d really like to see is an “operator” version of this… I want to deal with “real” and visible mask that I can manipulate further after I hit “OK”… :wink:
Dealing with an invisible mask can be quite painful…

3 Likes

In the live stream today Pablo demonstrated color attributes being retained after using voxel remesh. He also demonstrated UV maps being retained. I can’t seem to get that one to work.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s UV map preservation.

Looking at the video I think he actually forgot to remesh after setting voxel size. UV editor shows exactly same meshes.

3 Likes

As far as I understand there’s also plans to improve the mask/selection tools and functionality for sculpt mode. I think the cavity auto-masking is meant to be just a temporary, quick way of masking.

1 Like

Nicee! Can’t wait to try it :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face: :upside_down_face: :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

BUMP! hehehe…

C’mon, I mean, c’mon… almost two years… :sob:

Can you guys even use the draw sharp brush without it? I can’t…

7 Likes

:smiley::+1:

I had almost forgotten about it, and have gotten more or less used to alternating between the Draw Sharp, Crease and Pinch brushes.

5 Likes

PBVH Draw Support for EEVEE was recently merged into master: https://developer.blender.org/rB285a68b7bbf2fa40e41d507991467387f5dd5264

I can confirm a significant performance boost in sculpting/painting in EEVEE.

9 Likes

What? You’re a brave man, cuz that sounds painful hehehe…

Seriously, they really need to commit that patch… :weary:

2 Likes

Is it possible to sculpt on ~10 million polygon objects?

My rig is weak so I’ve never tried that level of sculpt. But I tested with 4 million polygon Suzanne, and sculpting/painting in Material Preview became “workable” (occasional hiccups and slowdown when updating/preparing? some data, still not as smooth as solid viewport) from “painful stop motion”.

Too slow workflow, having to select vertex and draw triangles insteda of directly drawing a Quad.

Instead propose the same Quad retopo way as 3D Coat.

Good.
But Smart retopo tool will make your workflow even faster and more easy

Well , we are not asking Blender to become as good as 3D coat about sculpting or retopo, but it’s good to show advanced features that could inspire Blender, who knows.

3 Likes

can you see textures while sculpting now? What about in solid view texture mode?

Oh yeah, now you can see textures while sculpting in solid view.

(Left: 3.3 alpha June 8th build, Right: 3.3 alpha June 11th build)

12 Likes

Yeah sure… for true retopo there are many advanced tools out there…
The stuff I showed is more for helping the sculpting process inside of sculpt mode rather than a full retopo solution… :slightly_smiling_face:
Blender’s sculpt mode has a lot of potential but it still misses a lot of basic stuff…

2 Likes

But not in multires :frowning:

4 Likes

Multires needs love asap. Attribute painting without Multires support is another huge bummer.

edit: I repeat myself i know. :grin:

6 Likes

Hi ho,
can someone take a look here? https://developer.blender.org/T98849
Currently not sure if its a bug or just a missing alert not to use it with modifiers.

1 Like