The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

I tested with 2.93, it shows exactly the same unpredictable behavior. Probably another one of multires issues.

Possibly related:

https://developer.blender.org/T95665

2 Likes

The Grab Vertex option behaviour became default with always a visible active vertex.
It was accompanied by a wire preview for subdivision/multires modifiers.

Later, a more general Sculpt Base Mesh option was added to Multires modifier for other brushes.

So, to have Grab Vertex preview display, you have to enable Sculpt Base Mesh option, first.

4 Likes

OBJ: vertex colors support in importer and exporter :ok_hand:
https://developer.blender.org/rB1b4f35f6a5889d8d2e65c6231e84f8b1744c4f96

14 Likes

Important step forward - nice!

2 Likes

Myself too. I am always asking about Multires :laughing:

1 Like

Hmm…trying dynotopo. Performance seems to dip a lot after a while of sculpting even when I click rebuild BVH especially if you are using 2.0px detail size. I am using the official 3.2.0 release

Is there anything similar for Blender? Torn Cloth Plugin Zbrush 2021 - YouTube
I mean how would you replicate the workflow in Blender? I really wonder.

Or stuff similar to this Creating frayed cloth in ZBrush - quick 'n easy! - YouTube
Not possible in Blender i guess?

Blender’s equivalent to ZBrush Micropoly / Nanomesh is the Tissue add-on that is included with Blender.

5 Likes

I see you know the dirty tricks, man

1 Like

Aaaaaaah thanks. Will be useful in the future.

1 Like

Seems like you could replicate that with a script, just saving a bunch of steps/operators to automate the whole thing, since doing it manually takes too much time (That’s what that Zbrush plugin does right? It automates a bunch of steps, I mean).
I haven’t tried but I think the steps to save into a script would be:

• Slice Mask in sculpt mode to get the holes
  • Remesh (This would be probably better with Quadremesher addon since the native Blender options aren’t very good)
  • Select border edges and add them to a vertex group.
  • Add a hair particle system using the previously created vertex group as input for density. (In 3.3 this step could also be replaced by a Geometry Nodes setup that adds the new hair curves to the border edges)
  • Use Tissue addon to add the cloth pattern. ( Alternatively, a Geometry Nodes setup could do the same, there must be something already available to use)
2 Likes

Good point. :+1:

1 Like

Maybe cloth fx addon https://blendermarket.com/products/clothfx---dynamic-cloth-tearing-plugin

2 Likes

Any chance we can get this added to the options for exporting meshes from Blender? This is from send to ue addon from Epic.
3xc

3 Likes

Go test test test.

7 Likes

The rewrite in the sculpt dev branch is still not in master for dyntopo but maybe soon.

2 Likes

What’s that, mask by cavity command with visual feedback, or it’s still the automasking stuff?

3 Likes

Auto masking but with a better blur (Blur Mode 2) implementation.
Top image the new Blur, bottom the old Blur

Blur Mode 2 very similar to ZBrushs Cavity Mask Blur but additionally i had to tweak the Curve and Cavity Factor.

The lack of visual feedback about the mask is not great though.

6 Likes

Ok. Will give the sculpt dev branch a go.

1 Like

Blur Mode 2 seems more reliable for paint brushes but chaotic for sculpt brushes.

Joe has just created two distinguish branches.
temp-textpaint-automasking and temp-sculpt-normals-masking

1 Like