The big Blender Sculpt Mode thread (Part 1)

From my understanding its not really about the direct copy but more to be on the safe side.
Posting a screenshot in an official forum and the feature gets a one to one port is a bit obvious, and other programs dont have an open forum for developing ideas.

Another point is that it should fit into blender so everyone has to think about it how can this interact or look in blender. Its not a bad thing of the official website to try to be on the safe side here.
And i should really stop answering anything here.

1 Like

Is IMM , transform tool, quick capture or create new brush counter intuitive ? perrhaps for some Blender long time users, but not for me.
You must mean about some menus.
Also i was talking Zbrush,3D coat or Nomad just to name a few, about workflow and features much better and intuitive lacking in Blender.!
Don’t stress this is not a Blender Vs other apps talk.

2 Likes

Avoiding running afoul of software patents(horrible things) is probably also another reason.

Grease Pencil Object

Is this actually being worked on by Blender Foundation devs? I was under the impression some outsiders created, maintain, and advance it.

no EEVEE,

I was under the impression that EEVEE was one man’s heroic efforts and, like Cycles, most of it was created when the person was not employed by Blender. No?

no Asset Browser,

This one also appears to be a heroic effort by one man with occassional help from 1 other employee and a few unpaid volunteers.

Geometry Nodes.

I think there’s a handful of paid employees on this one but also significant contributions from unpaid volunteers.

Cycles X

Anonther one that seems to be a heroic effort by just 2 people.

Am I wrong?

2 Likes

Grease Pencil was mainly developed by Antonio Vazquez and main feedback was done by Daniel Martinez Lara and Matias Mendiola. Most of Grease Pencil development occurred during 2.8 and 2.9 series.
But I think that during production of the open movie Hero, they were financed.
Yiming Wu, who is working on Lineart modifier, was paid through GSOCs.

Clément Foucault worked during years on its PBR viewport branch, before being employed to work on EEVEE, inspired by that work. But EEVEE is a different project.
And currently, Clément is working on EEVEE next. He is not free for anything else, either

Julian Eisel did most of the work on Asset Browser and was helped by Jereoen, Bastien and Sybren.
Sybren who was in charge of pose library part. Asset Browser was a very old target,with a design initiated by Andrea Weikert for 2.5 project. Julian is also in charge of VR stuff.

Geometry Nodes are supervised by Jacques Lucke (animation nodes developer).
Because it is a massive task. Hans Goodey (who started as GSOC student on Bevel modifier) was also allocated to it.

And yes, Cycles X is fruit of work of Brecht and Sergey.

So, a developer generally does a lot of work on its own or as a GSOC student. Often, he is integrated to the team to continue during months. Often, he goes back to his life and is continuing as a volunteer. Sometimes, he is staying for decades. And there are developers that are employed by same cycle as feature is developed.

Currently, best sum-up of who is paid to work on what seems to be grants page.

In fact, with 7 experienced developers assigned to Core and 5 developers assigned to task triaging to feed them and 2 coordinators. Clearly, the priority of such organization is to solidify Blender.
But bugfixes are not generating a lot of hype.

10 Likes

Off-topic but

Old DeuTaranomy :wolf: auf Twitter: „“We believe in empowering artists so we are cutting off all future updates from folks who spent $$$ for a perpetual licences, and instead trying to woo them on a 50% discount on a $500/yr subscription” https://t.co/LnNzZ597ki“ / Twitter

5 Likes

Hahaha, what a kind rip off. :joy:

6 Likes

It’s the damn right time for BF to boost the sculpting development…

6 Likes

I guess if Ton really wants another sculpt mode developer he would find one i assume. He got enough connections thats for sure.

3 Likes

They are searching and have not found one for any of the few positions… That sounds like ton dont want to have more devs…

Senior Blender Developer — blender.org
Can’t find any sculpt mode related offer here.

2 Likes

Feel free to rant along with me about this here: :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Does anyone have Pablo Dobarro livestreams on twitch?

1 Like

What, stuff disappeared from the platform?
I never had the chance to watch his live streams… :frowning_with_open_mouth:

1 Like

That’s one thing that has been addressed in the sculpt branch for some time. It’s been possible to add whatever setting you want to the R click menu for brushes, including this one.

Sure would be nice if the UI improvements in the sculpt branch would get ported over to master. It’s just a better experience overall.

5 Likes

Oof. That’s not news I wanted to hear about the retopology development. I have to say that I find it a bit ridiculous that Retopo Mode is potentially being scrapped after several months of planning and development already being put in. Why wasn’t this alternative “submode” idea taken into account before all the work to make a brand new mode had been done? Seems quite late to just change direction on the project when most of its features are basically done. :confused:

5 Likes

:eyes:

Wait wait, why the “geopen” is an addon? :disappointed:

5 Likes

That actually makes me feel a bit better about it. I like that the new tools are going to do the heavy lifting by automating a lot of the necessary actions to be able to do decent retopology.

One thing that I do wish was available however is a brush that can smooth out your topology evenly.

Slide Relax Brush is honestly pretty great for doing retopology, so it would be nice if that was available in Edit Mode too.

8 Likes

retopo mode now feels like a submode to edit mode.

was mentioned by gfxcoder back in April, so it’s possible he’s the one that came up with it in the first place and Campbell is just agreeing with him now.

1 Like

I’ve tried many times to use the sculpt devs blender but it crashes repeatedly and I can’t work.
I hope Pablo finds some free time to pick up Blender again.

3 Likes